Clicking noise-Automatic Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my liberty, everytime I put the car from P into R it makes a rapid clicking sound and goes away. I made sure the brake was fully compressed and still makes the noise. Even from P-D.

Any ideas?

sootie007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clicking

Both my 02's do it ...I noticed it first in the drive thru line...when going from Park to drive....rapping clicking then it goes away .....J

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exactly, is it normal or damaging? owned it for about a year and a half so far

JEEP LOVE

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
That "Bzzzzzzzzz-tick" is a Chrysler trade-mark. That is how they work, rather than just engage solenoids with solid voltage, like other transmissions, they are pulsed. The pulse is like a square wave electric pulse... If you hear a Mitsubishi do it, that's normal too... Why? They say it's for a smoother shift, but I got a few other cars that DON'T do that, they shift just fine...

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Ram does it. The newer mopar trannies do it. It's almost like a signature, kinda like the Chrysler starters way back in the day. Old style torqueflites and their derivatives (904, 999, 727, 518) don't make this noise.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's almost like a signature, kinda like the Chrysler starters way back in the day. Old style torqueflites and their derivatives (904, 999, 727, 518) don't make this noise.

All of those transmissions were hydraulically controlled, and all of the newer ones are electronically controlled. The solenoids buzz like that because they are pulse width modulated when actuated.

The Fixer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured it was a Chrysler thing. My wife's Liberty makes the same solenoid noise, and so did my old '00 Sebring convertible.

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Ram does it. The newer mopar trannies do it. It's almost like a signature, kinda like the Chrysler starters way back in the day. Old style torqueflites and their derivatives (904, 999, 727, 518) don't make this noise.

My '03 Liberty makes this sound as well. I just bought an '09 Wrangler Unlimited with an automatic trans and it doesn't make this sound. So maybe they're using a different method in newer vehicles?

It's good to hear this is normal though for my Libby.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep my 03' makes this noise, and the 94 Dodge Caravan we had back in the day did too.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
My '03 Liberty makes this sound as well. I just bought an '09 Wrangler Unlimited with an automatic trans and it doesn't make this sound. So maybe they're using a different method in newer vehicles?

The wrangler still has the same 42RLE for the Automatic, so maybe you just don't hear it. ALL Chrysler automatic transmissions do it, except the CVT, like in the Caliber and others...

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wrangler still has the same 42RLE for the Automatic, so maybe you just don't hear it. ALL Chrysler automatic transmissions do it, except the CVT, like in the Caliber and others...

That could be. I just got the Wrangler and it only has about 100 miles on it......so maybe the noise will become more obvious once it's had time to break in.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I had a 2000 Cirrus LXi (company car), and a 2000 Avenger ES. Both have the exact same drive-train. The Cirrus? The noise was loud enough to hear with the windows up, and louder with them down. The Avenger? Could not hear it at all with the windows up, and was barely audible with them down. Dunno why they are so different in that manner, when they are the SAME transmission. Got to be the "beat on" factor...