clicking between 15-45. goes away when brake pedal is pressed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front driver side is making a clicking noise that's speed sensitive. Its really loud between 15-30mph and fades mostly away at highway speeds but when I press on the brake it completely goes away. I just changed my axle on this side the other day and torqued everything properly. Also checked this morning and eveything seems to be in place. Has anyone had this issue before or know what it could be?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it sounds crazy but it could be the CV joint on the transfer case end of the front driveshaft.

Crawl under there and shine a flashlight on the boot - if there is a tear, oil around the boot or the boot is missing it's time to replace the CV.

Applying the brakes changes the torque load slightly on the front driveshaft (even if you're not in 4WD) and so the clicking in the CV joint will change or go away.

If the CV joint is good then I have no clue (need more coffee I guess :Caffeine:)

Bob

AKjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know what Bob I was thinking the exact same thing. Doesn't sound crazy atall! Lol ill check it out

AKjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front Driveshaft cv looks good. No tears no leaks or looseness

And its sort of intermittent. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all... wth?

AKjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I jacked it up and was able to take a better look at things. The boot on the Tcase side of the front Driveshaft was done for, so hopefully that is my problem. Ordering a new head right now

Latest posts

Members online