Clear turn signal lens - legal??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I get clear turn signal lens for the front and instal bulbs that light up yellow does anyone know if this is legal in PA?

Thanks

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it even has to light up yellow....I've seen factory BMW and Lexus with the white turn signals, I can't imagine too many bmw drivers modding their luxury cars :p

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
State Statute

Technically the only way to be sure is to read the PA statutes on lighting, which after taking a quick look aren't that easy to navigate (very common). This is what I found in PA:

TABLE IV—LOCATION OF REQUIRED EQUIPMENT
ALL PASSENGER CARS AND MOTORCYCLES, AND MULTIPURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLES, TRUCKS,
TRAILERS AND BUSES OF LESS THAN 80 INCHES OVERALL WIDTH

Turn signal lamps.

At or near the front—1 amber on
each side of the vertical centerline,
at the same height, and as far apart
as practicable.

On the rear—1 red or amber on each
side of the vertical centerline, at the
same height, and as far apart as
practicable.

What the statutes don't comment on is to be amber does the cover have to be amber or can just the end result be amber. If I was a betting man I'd say a judge would have a hard time justifying a ticket if the end result was the same regardless of which item was yellow, the bulb or the cover. You do want to make sure the signal is as bright as the previous one as it looks like that is a requirement in your state.

Sorry but legal questions demand complicated long responses......

Oh and if you have a hard time sleeping here's the link:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter153/chap153toc.html

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right, but.....

Thats why I thought an amber bulb would work plus there is an amber lens on the side of the bumber. I just wanna replace the one on the front with a clear lens and a bulb that flashes yellow.

Thanks, I think it will work.

KJ Willy

Reaction score
You have 2005? right.

Where did you find the covers?? I've been looking but only found them for 02-04. So make sure you are getting the right ones. If you are then let us know where you got them from??

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best thing to do would be to go down to the DMV and ask an inspector, since they deal with the regulations every day. Having said that, an amber bulb in a clear lens should be fine; all states have to conform to the Code of Federal Regulations title 49 concerning matters such as this. I don't think that the manufacturers of the 'Euro-style' assemblies could market them if they did not meet federal code. The specific section dealing with this is Title 49, Part 571, Sec. 571.108 Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment. To answer a question posed in Amarony's post, the concern is the color when illuminated. The static color of the signal should not be critical, as long as it is the proper color when activated.

Good luck with the mod.

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not yet

KJ Willy said:
You have 2005? right.

Where did you find the covers?? I've been looking but only found them for 02-04. So make sure you are getting the right ones. If you are then let us know where you got them from??

I didn't find them yet, still looking.

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, as long as the end result of the color, the light bulb and so-called clear lens signal shouldn't matter. However, it all depends on the DMV in your state. The statutes are there i'm sure, u just have to read it. Most cops will write you a ticket if it does not conform to the rules and the Judge most likely won't give you face either if you dispute it. But if the color is the same, it's good enough to fool anyone as long as it's working and flashing at the same rate. My city has many soup-ed up cars and trucks etc....which are a magnet for cops to pull someone over and cite you a ticket. Who needs that?

rob