CJ - YJ - TJ and now TK?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they taking the "J" out or are they just running out of letters?? I always thought that the "J" stood for Jeep. (almost all prior models had a "J") The new wrangler is going to have a TK designation? (They already have a WK & XK - so they've dropped the "J" on the Grand & Commander)

What does the "K" stand for?

I havn't seen too much tech info on the new wrangler but i guess they dropped the 4.0 ( and probably some torque for sure ) I stopped at a local dealer a couple of days ago looking for an 06 & 07 sales brochure for comparison but they did not have an 07 one. I wonder how the torque of the 3.8l can be geared to perform? I hope they didn't wreck it. I guess it will still have a solid front axle at least.

Just thinking out loud and wondering.

Dave

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how true this is, but yes I as well heard that the all the letters for the "J" had pretty much been used, so they went to the "K". It would be interesting to know why the "K"?

I bet that the next redesigned '08 Liberty will not start with a "K"!

Part of the reason the I6 is going away is pollution reasons, as well as that it's DCC's last non-DCC designed engine. It really does have a lot of torque, much like the CRD (I test drove both back to back about a year ago).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
I don't know how true this is, but yes I as well heard that the all the letters for the "J" had pretty much been used, so they went to the "K". It would be interesting to know why the "K"?
Yup. K comes after J.

I bet that the next redesigned '08 Liberty will not start with a "K"!
Supposedly, it's the "KK".

Part of the reason the I6 is going away is pollution reasons, as well as that it's DCC's last non-DCC designed engine. It really does have a lot of torque, much like the CRD (I test drove both back to back about a year ago).
It's emissions.... yeah, and it's not cost effective to produce an engine for one vehicle.

And this thing is definitely JK... not TK as was previously thought. At least, that's what code is on the back of all the test vehicles.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know where the "K" came from either. Maby they are putting letters in a hat............................

I also heard that the re-design for the Lib is due in 08 and it might be "KK"???

I need to really see a new Wrangler in the flesh.

I wonder who works in the "Designation Dpt" at DC?????

I thought that they fuel-injected the 4.0 and that made it "cleaner" but i guess not????

Dave

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bennett said:
www.jeepkk.com

all set =D>

Nice going Bennett!

But really it's K because it comes after J? Wow, that simple? I want more to it, lol! In 1000 years they just might be on Z then?