Cigarette Outlet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, I don't smoke so I would use the cigarette outlet for my cell phone adapter to charge my phone. Since the lighter is a direct feed from the battery, will the charger drain my vehicle battery if I left the adapter connected in the socket without the phone attached? A red light is displayed if it's plugged in. I would have thought that the power is connected to the ignition so that if it's off, everything goes off.

Rob

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I leave mine plugged in all the time...sometimes with the cell phone plugged in sometimes with it just pushed no cell phone....and have never had a problem with it. In fact I have my XM sat. receiver running off the same circuit and I never shut it off even over night and have never had a problem with starting.

Not to say if you left it for days without starting it may drain the battery but I personally have no problems at all.

Later, Jeremy

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would take a long time for a cell phone to drain a car battery. No worries.

Yippers

Reaction score
fujitsubo said:
Just wondering, I don't smoke so I would use the cigarette outlet for my cell phone adapter to charge my phone. Since the lighter is a direct feed from the battery, will the charger drain my vehicle battery if I left the adapter connected in the socket without the phone attached? A red light is displayed if it's plugged in. I would have thought that the power is connected to the ignition so that if it's off, everything goes off.

Rob
On the 05s at least, the lighter circuit is NOT switched. It has power regardless of ignition switch position.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
It would take a long time for a cell phone to drain a car battery. No worries.

Grogie's got it totally on point. You need not worry about this as long as you drive the vehicle once every couple months. ;)

-Blu

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no problems with extensive long term use here either.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
You could run a that led on that car charger for a couple years on a car battery. lol.

(seriously)

Bennett

Latest posts

Members online