Chrysler to stop having printed Owner's Manuals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the world of advancing the auto business, this doesn't rank up there with side curtain airbags in terms of importance. Heck, it's a change most people won't even notice. Still, Chrysler's decision to replace the bulky owner's manual with a DVD and small user's guide is one that a few folks out there will see as a no-brainer and one that is long overdue.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/32952493

I really dont know how I feel about this for usually when I look at the owners manual is to try and find out something when I am out and I dont have a computer handy and if the manual is on a DVD it would not do me much good.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I also like the "hard copy" manual. My FSM is also "hard copy" instead of disk. That way, I can get my greasy fingerprints on it. I am old-fashoned I guess.

Dave

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want the hard copy. I'm in my jeep when I have a question, not in my kitchen by my computer.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I love clearing up the dumb(censored) media!

Here's the story guys. ;)

YES, owners manuals are gone. To replace them is a DVD explaining everything, and a 40-60 page user guide containing THE MOST IMPORTANT STUFF (IE: the stuff you actually need from your manual).

YOU CAN STILL REQUEST A PAPER COPY OF YOUR MANUAL! You have to request it from Chrysler or the Dealer.

I hate the media!!!

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnbc.com/id/32952493

I really dont know how I feel about this for usually when I look at the owners manual is to try and find out something when I am out and I dont have a computer handy and if the manual is on a DVD it would not do me much good.

As a big fan of all documents electronic, I tend to agree that a car manual on DVD isn't a great idea. I go to my manual when I'm in my driveway, at work, out on the trail. OFten the manual is right there when i'm out in the vehicle. For instance, what good would my Chilton's repair manual be if it only came on DVD?

I mean sure, one of my planned future mods is to drop a computer in the jeep, but not everyone is going to do that.

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paper or DVD

Thats sad. I also prefer the paper version but the original books shipped to Australia was more than a few $$$$ more. Even tho electronic versions are inevitable there is something to be said about the link between the brain & seeing it on paper.

I think its a bit like some guys like digital displays on a P gauge or tacho while others like me like the analogue form.smashfreakB.gif
Cheers
Auberon

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys don't carry a Panasonic Toughbook w/ DVD drive and VZW wifi broadband card when you go wheeling?

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of when people were cursing fuel injection in the late 80's. Go with the times people. If you want a manual, ask for one and they'll give it to you.

If anyone here needs an owner's manual to figure out something on your Jeep "on the trail", you shouldn't be out on the trail. You'll be using your Chiltons/Haynes manual for the tough stuff anyway.

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like having my manuals in pdf. Nice to print out only the pages needed for a given task.

Not good for the trail, most excellent for my shop.

Markus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was very surprised to find out my 2004 KJ did not come with a manual. I don't know if the dealer messed up...or they never got it with the trade...or if Chrysler didn't supply one.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was very surprised to find out my 2004 KJ did not come with a manual. I don't know if the dealer messed up...or they never got it with the trade...or if Chrysler didn't supply one.

You looked in the "hard to see" slot above the glove box opening??