Chrysler LLC just stole Toyota COO Jim Press

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I just heard on Newsradio that Chrysler has hired Toyota COO Jim Press as Vice President and Chairman of Chrysler. He's been with them for 30+ years, and has replaced Tom LaSorda (giving him yet another demotion).

EDIT: here's the news story

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070906/BUSINESS01/70906023/1035/RSS04

Wow... they had to give him at least a billion dollars for this one. This is the second executive from Toyota that Chrysler has hired... uh oh. :)

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that mean we gonna have self-parking jeeps and hybrid jeeps, and crappier jeeps soon?

2003KJ

Reaction score
Does that mean we gonna have self-parking jeeps and hybrid jeeps, and crappier jeeps soon?

Quite possible. Hope this isnt a reliability booster type thing....Jeeps are already pretty reliable.

It will be a sad day for all Jeep owners when they start putting Toyota crap on a Jeep :eek:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeep Libertius hybrid crap.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You guys must not realize that automaker executives shift companies all the time? Take Bob Lutz for example... he's currently at GM, but used to be at Chrysler. Everyone loves Lee Iacocca right? He came from Ford of all places. But I don't see Chrysler stuff on Fords or Ford stuff on Chryslers.

Cerberus is serious about fixing Chrysler, and they publicly stated that they were going to gather as much industry talent as possible... and believe me, they need it.

Jeep, reliable? Um, while the Liberty is pretty tough, Jeep is still below average for reliability among all brands.

Another reason why they're grabbing people from Toyota... as you guys (should... or now...) know, Cerberus is all about making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Toyota makes tons of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. So it's no surprise that they're getting people that know how to do it...

Last edited:

2003KJ

Reaction score
Jeep, reliable? Um, while the Liberty is pretty tough, Jeep is still below average for reliability among all brands.

Actually I think Jeep is right up there with the best of them...any little problems that i've seen reported (other than the obvious like LBJ's) have been pretty much flukes..

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as it doesn't end up Toyojeep........

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I will say, Jeep has improved a heck of a lot from the 2006 JD Power ratings... last year it was 264! Chrysler was at 232 last year, Dodge, 258.

JD Power also has some interesting information... THEY say that the split of female/male ownership of the Liberty is 50/50. 52% of buyers are 56+. 21% are 16-35.... and that's the age range of a majority of us on this site... well the more active ones I guess.

Hehehe, 53% of Compass buyers are women. tee hee... the new girly Jeep car!

For those that don't know, those numbers are the average number of problems per 100 vehicles for the first THREE years of ownership. So 2.19 problems for each Liberty in the first three years. That actually sounds about right... but of course it could be better.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
JD Power also has some interesting information... THEY say that the split of female/male ownership of the Liberty is 50/50. 52% of buyers are 56+. 21% are 16-35.... and that's the age range of a majority of us on this site... well the more active ones I guess.
-------------------------------------------
That leaves out 27% for age group 36-51

:D

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-------------------------------------------
That leaves out 27% for age group 36-51

:D

Now you gotta figure out which side of the 50% you fit in with regarding femal/male ownership :D

J/K of course!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who the F is JD power and associates and why did they become the "man" of rating. I don't trust any one of those reviews when it comes to reliability and
"reported" problems. Slip enough money they will make you the king of the industry. honestly.
Unless there are NO HUGE DEAL of reported injuries due to serious design or quality flaw, I don't care what they say.

Go ahead compare CR & JD reviews. CR keep saying BENZ is making one of the crappiest cars and they say benz have been to the dealer more than any other vehicle for various problems..
Who posts these reviews, and what do they compare the results with? All bunch of crap. Could it be because benz owners expect much more? Or could be that jeep owners somehow settle for lesser quality of comfort, especially those who come from rattly wrangler line. I am not sure.
All I care is that if it rides fine, brakes fine, lasts a while, that's the vehicle for me. And when I think of a vehicle that overlasts anything else out there, I think Chevy, Jeep and Cadillac. When I think of capability I think Jeep, Range Rover, regardless of comfort. When I think of Kia, Toyota sedans, Hyundai, I think of crap, empty bloated body that will give and stabilty that feels like it will blow with the wind.

So, these results mean nothing especially with makers now have whole line of vehicles being made. Is it another surprise that JD thinks "American" vehicles are higher on the list where CR praises toyota and honda on each and every issue they print?

Again, I don't care if the vehicle is made in Mars or Venus or a small town in MeHEEEKO, if it runs good, if I get a good service from dealer when I have any questions, that is the car for me.

I recently wrote to CR to start evaluating dealer and service centers of all these makers, and I hope that many other people do, because for me, Chrysler would be in CHINA if you compared the service level you would be getting from them...

http://www.daimlerchryslervehicleproblems.com/ on this site I haven't seen an article about KJ or LBJ issues, they must have missed that.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'll trust JD Power before I trust Consumer Reports. Consumer Reports are a bunch of corrupt bastards. With that said, by saying this, you're telling me that GM is slipping JD Power large amounts of cash to make a brand that they might be killing off stand out on top? I don't think so. :rolleyes:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I am not saying just GM, I am talking about inconsistency between two of the most respected-by-consumers (minus Marlon) "investigators" or reviewers in the market. It just makes you think..

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
They are two different companies. I'm sure they have different methods of gathering information. That would explain the inconsistencies.

Everyone knows Clodslumer Retorts takes bribes. But I'm not sure about them anymore.. they actually dropped the Honda Odyssey's reliability rating to average. I've had an Odyssey die on me at work, so I know they're pieces of junk.

Back to the topic, Chrysler's continuing to steal more executives.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...IOL-?SITE=MIDTN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online