Chrysler 8.25 D44 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for curiosity's sake, let's say that I wanted to swap the stock Chrysler 8.25 out for a stock width D44. What axle would be the optimum donor? How much of a hassle would it be to accomodate the swap?

You know, for science's sake. ;)

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would maybe look for one out of a TJ or XJ. If its a D44 out of a grand cherokee, walk away. You could also find one that is somewhat stock width out of a scout II. They are just a couple inches shorter than a stock Jeep axle..

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still would leave the front end the week link unless you do a SFA. So whats the point. Maybe with Jba front end.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 8 and a quarter rear end is pretty strong. I have seen countless XJ's running 33-35" tires with no real issues. They are popular too, so any aftermarket item you could want is easily available as well; lockers, diff guards, gears, etc.

If you are going to swap axles you might as well throw tons under your rig and start running 40" tires. :smokin: :D

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discovered that there's no real need for any of this. RCV makes chromoly axle shafts for the Liberty.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discovered that there's no real need for any of this. RCV makes chromoly axle shafts for the Liberty.
But do they make them for the KJ's 8.25? There is about 6-10 different 8.25's out there and none of the axles interchange.

The Yukon axles for the KJ 8.25 are not chromo axles,there just one step better steel then stock and a few steps below chromo shafts.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But do they make them for the KJ's 8.25? There is about 6-10 different 8.25's out there and none of the axles interchange.

The Yukon axles for the KJ 8.25 are not chromo axles,there just one step better steel then stock and a few steps below chromo shafts.

Yes they do. Actually, my KJ will have the first set. :smokin:

Just don't ask me how much I paid for them. :disgust:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 8 and a quarter rear end is pretty strong. I have seen countless XJ's running 33-35" tires with no real issues. They are popular too, so any aftermarket item you could want is easily available as well; lockers, diff guards, gears, etc.

If you are going to swap axles you might as well throw tons under your rig and start running 40" tires. :smokin: :D

Strong enough and been around awhile too. My 72 Duster and 72 Charger both came with it; the Duster had a hopped up 318 and the Charger had a modded 360. Never any problems (the old 904 transmissions usually crapped out on me first).

Latest posts

Members online