Check the gas and fill the oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
My KJ is new to me, had it about 6 months and I bet I've added about 10 quarts to it. No need for an oil change in my eyes.
It's a 3.7 L and is either burning oil or leaking while driving, not much oil on the ground when it's parked and no blue smoke. A puff of blue when I start it while it already been driven that day.
It's almost to the point of check the gas and fill the oil every few weeks.
Any one had this issue.
Don't wanna put to much money into it as I only paid $500 and consider it my Side by Side for the bush.
A fully loaded side by side (all available options in 2003), thought I got a pretty good deal.
Has any one done piston rings with just pulling the heads and oil pan.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
X2^ The puff of blue oil on start up generally is the valve stem seals.
You could also do full compression test. We can also tell a lot by the spark plug conditions, and post pics of them.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
So it sounds like the heads gotta come off to do the valve stem seals. Any one heard of doing the valve stem seals with the heads not removed.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would start with all 6 cylinder compression test first, noting 1-6 and the related psi to each cylinder.
If the cylinders are within spec, then carry onto to dealing with the heads by one of two ways.
If this is truly a high mile engine, it probably would be best to rebuild the heads entirely. Remove heads take them to a qualified machine shop.
Method 2: Yes you can replace the stem seals without removing the heads. A valve spring compressor tool is required. Refer to FSM.
This video shows you what is involved...finicky but doable.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a lot of consumption...
Id also check the pcv system. If clogged that could cause increased consumption I believe.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
So it sounds like the heads gotta come off to do the valve stem seals. Any one heard of doing the valve stem seals with the heads not removed.

Thats a lot of consumption...
Id also check the pcv system. If clogged that could cause increased consumption I believe.

Yes, it can be done with a good air compressor and spark plug hose adapter. Honestly? Pull the heads and do it. You'll probably find the valves seats need refreshing too.

As jeeptorino68 says, also check the PCV valve. A stuck valve will increase oil usage.

AaronFord

Reaction score
I have done valve seals while the head was on. Definitely doable. It was a massive pain in the neck, but I did it. Shell Rotella Gas Truck Oil seems to help with aged oil seals. You may also look on the passenger side head and see if the camshaft sensor is leaking. If so, replace the entire sensor. It’s cheap.

Aaron

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
X2^ The puff of blue oil on start up generally is the valve stem seals.
You could also do full compression test. We can also tell a lot by the spark plug conditions, and post pics of them.

LibertyTC,

I was about to ask the gurus what blueish smoke indicated? I have done a whopping 9.7 miles on my Liberty in the last two months and it blows blue smoke non stop. Oh yeah that 9.7 miles was over 60 hours of engine running time.

Oil level has not moved and I have not gotten around to bothering with the spark plugs. I also did dump an entire can of SeaFoam into it with about 7gals in the fuel tank.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
My KJ is new to me, had it about 6 months and I bet I've added about 10 quarts to it. No need for an oil change in my eyes.
It's a 3.7 L and is either burning oil or leaking while driving, not much oil on the ground when it's parked and no blue smoke. A puff of blue when I start it while it already been driven that day.
It's almost to the point of check the gas and fill the oil every few weeks.
Any one had this issue.
Don't wanna put to much money into it as I only paid $500 and consider it my Side by Side for the bush.
A fully loaded side by side (all available options in 2003), thought I got a pretty good deal.
Has any one done piston rings with just pulling the heads and oil pan.

Big Al,

Dude, it's a perfect Side by Side. I couldn't afford a RZR so I got a Liberty and turned it into a pickup, one of the most fun and practical yard rigs I have ever owned. Lets see a pic of yours.

Cheers!

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
Great ideas,
PVC was checked and it still rattles, also great to hear that some of you have done the seals while in situ.
Options options, I like options.
Was thinking of removing the PVC and plugging the hose off to see if it would make a difference for say a month. Just let the crankcase breath to atmosphere. Maybe even run it without the oil fill cap on for a month.
It was women driven for most of its life, so thinking the oil light has came on a few times. The previous owner told me that it leaks oil like a sieve, but I have yet to see a lot of oil on the driveway where it's been parked for the last 6 months.
It's a daily driven jeep, so it gets used often.
What surprises me is that it doesn't blow blue continuously.
It also has the check engine light on since I bought it indicating a drivers side catalytic fault. 0420 code.
Don't want to replace the converter and get it all plugged up with carbon if the rings or seals have a lots of blow by or oil seal seepage.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
Also, need to find which one of my friends owns a compression tester.
I actually made an adapter for my Honda motorcycle years ago, as the compression tester I borrowed from my friend years ago didn't have that metric thread pitch. I drilled out a used spark plug and brazed welded a pipe nipple on it.
Heck, I can make one for the Jeep if I had too.
He's going through major health problems, so not a good time to go banging on his door and asking him for a snap on compression tester. Getting old *****.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
LibertyTC,

I was about to ask the gurus what blueish smoke indicated? I have done a whopping 9.7 miles on my Liberty in the last two months and it blows blue smoke non stop. Oh yeah that 9.7 miles was over 60 hours of engine running time.

Oil level has not moved and I have not gotten around to bothering with the spark plugs. I also did dump an entire can of SeaFoam into it with about 7gals in the fuel tank.

Oil seeping in past the valve seals
doesn't take much for it to show up

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Great ideas,
PVC was checked and it still rattles, also great to hear that some of you have done the seals while in situ.
Was thinking of removing the PVC and plugging the hose off to see if it would make a difference for say a month. Just let the crankcase breath to atmosphere. Maybe even run it without the oil fill cap on for a month.
It was women driven for most of its life, so thinking the oil light has came on a few times. The previous owner told me that it leaks oil like a sieve, but I have yet to see a lot of oil on the driveway where it's been parked for the last 6 months.
It also has the check engine light on since I bought it indicating a drivers side catalytic fault. 0420 code.
Don't want to replace the converter and get it all plugged up with carbon if the rings or seals have a lots of blow by or oil seal seepage.
Usually will show more under a load
For example buddys KJ smoked that way, he claimed it did not ever blow any blue smoke. So I traded with him for a 20 mile drive, he followed me and saw how much it did that he never noticed

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
Usually will show more under a load
For example buddys KJ smoked that way, he claimed it did not ever blow any blue smoke. So I traded with him for a 20 mile drive, he followed me and saw how much it did that he never noticed
So did your buddy fix the blowing blue smoke.
Was it the rings or valve stem seals if he did.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Great ideas,
Met a guy on the road with a ranger pickup that left his fill cap off, dead seized engine. Plugging PCV can bottle up crankcase pressure and blow out seals. On the CRD a plugged CCV (PCV equivalent) blows the rear main seal. Venting to atmosphere (elephant hose mod) works until the snout freezes over and then it blows the rear main seal.

Latest posts

Members online