cheap iPhone mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this idea for a little while and finally executed it. I searched for the simplest iphone dock to put on the dash of the KJ. I finally found a nice one for cheap at NewEgg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875995208

Here's what it looks like installed:
You must be registered for see images

Its not too pretty but it will serve its purpose pretty good. I removed this piece from the dash to get the dock zip tied to the vent. I made sure it wouldn't cover the vent as much as possible.

The cover I have is very soft rubber and it rests against the windshield and makes a pretty solid mount all in all. I ran the usb cable down the side of the duct and finally found the cable underneath the dash and fished it down. I have a usb power plug hard wired behind the knee panel that I plugged it into. Makes a good clean install.

Every thing's kind of dusty right now, but once spring rolls around I'll get it all cleaned up and it should look pretty good. The flash really shows all the dirt. Geez!! :freak3:

Just thought I'd share. Now I can use my GPS apps safely with having to look down at the iPhone and not worry about the battery. Everyone with an iPhone knows that any GPS app drains the battery pretty fast so a constant power source is a must.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the defroster get the dock/phone too hot at all? That area on my Libby gets scalding sometimes.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, I did this last night so this morning was the first test drive. The view of the map seems right on. The angle is good. The back of the iPhone was warm, but not hot. I had the heat set on vent/floor. I bet if I used defrost it would get a little hot, but not too hot. Using GPS apps makes the iphone hot anyway. I only have the 3G so it sweats a good deal. I'll get a pic of the viewing angle. What's nice is the fact that I have the top resting against the windshield. It makes it very solid so I can really tap the screen without it moving so each touch can be accurate. It feels like its built in... Glad you like it and I'll get a pic of it on with a map up when I get a chance. This is one thing I can't take a pic of with my phone. LOL :smokin:

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol true. thanks for the info, can't wait to see the pic....some companies sell a mount that clips into the mid vents for iPhones...but then where do you go with the wires lol.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a word of caution. I usually put my sunglasses up on the dash with the ear pieces tucked in the defroster grid/duct. They're out of the way and right there when I need them. However I had on pair that melted the rubber ends right off the ear pieces. I would be really concerned about cooking the iPod cable or iPhone. That would be a costly mistake.

I do think this is a great idea and a cheap alternative to a GPS.