Changing power steering fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rednel

Reaction score
I have an 03 Liberty and would like to replace the power steering fluid and because I cannot determine whether it has the original power steering fluid or ATF+4 (ATF was recommended soon after 03 as I can tell from posts) there right now I need to flush the system out and start fresh.

I don't see any clear instructions anywhere. Can I suction the reservoir frequently and assume that most of what's in the system gets replaced over a few goes or must I find the low pressure hose and disconnect it. What's currently int system is just a dark color so I'd like to improve things and certainly not make matters worse by the potential to inadvertently cross contaminate power steering fluid and ATF.

Any advice appreciated, thanks

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just suctioned out the reservoir, put fluid in and worked the steering full left and right and repeated with fluid removal and refilling a few times, I believe I used mopar power steering but not sure.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometime late in 03 and definitely by 04 they used Atf+4. Is there any red in your current power steering fluid? Or is it just black?

Rednel

Reaction score
Sometime late in 03 and definitely by 04 they used Atf+4. Is there any red in your current power steering fluid? Or is it just black?
Thanks,
I'll have to take a closer look but I am not sure I will be able to tell for sure.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Suction some out & place it in a glass jar. Should make it easier to see if there is a reddish coloration.
Illuminate it with the sun or bright light.
I think either way you could upgrade to atf+4, it is a synthetic.
Gosh in my GM pump which is really picky in cold weather, my best performance came from a Mix of GM PS fluid & Atf+4.
I think without pulling any hoses or worrying about seals, simply suction out the PS reservoir & fill it with ATF+4
Then every few days suction it out again, and repeat a few times, and you will be good to go.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should upgrade to ATF +4 if you are not certain about what you have at the moment.

My 2002 Export CRD still has the Mopar Steering Fluid in it...it starts out as a light yellow color and turns to an amber color as it ages.
I have been sucking out the fluid from the reservoir with a large syringe every 12 months or so and then re-fill with the Mopar fluid.

Chrysler stated mid 2003 that all early KJs should have their steering fluid completely drained during a Service and replaced with ATF +4.....they warned that the two fluids cannot be mixed!:eek:

I have mistrusted my local Jeep Dealers from day 1 so I did not trust them to do the job properly!;)

Latest posts

Members online