Changing oil filter with skid plate- 3.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmurt

Reaction score
It can be done! A real pain in the elbow, however, with a dose of post-filter-removal drip through the hole in the skid plate. DC even built an oil flume to drain the filter drippings out the skidplate hole.

The dilema is reaching the filter. You've got to have skinny arms like me to reach up/over/in.

Does everyone else drop their skid plate to do this? I can just imagine the guys at Jiffy Lube cringing every time they see a Liberty coming up the drive.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine always drips oil for a few days after the lube guys get through with it. ](*,)

always gets in the skid plate

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jmurt said:
The dilema is reaching the filter. You've got to have skinny arms like me to reach up/over/in.
I change mine from the top. No trouble at all this way (whistle)

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had issues getting my arm in from the bottom, so much so that I looked to see if from the top was possible and concluded it was not.....no idea how you do that!

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SRotblat said:
I had issues getting my arm in from the bottom, so much so that I looked to see if from the top was possible and concluded it was not.....no idea how you do that!

Do you have the tow package? I have tons of room to get an arm down there and make it easy. I do remember a while back someone posted they had the tow package and also a larger fan shroud that makes it impossible to change the filter from the top.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope, still surprises me though -- I can bearly even see the filter from the top...

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see it perfectly. Starting the threads are done by feel but other than that its straight forward.

jmurt

Reaction score
I guess I'm screwed...tow pkg and skid plate.

The brusies are fading, and my wife only drives it 6K miles/yr, so I have plenty of time to heal between oil changes.

I did find bending back the plastic air dam while you snake your arm up in the "crevice" gives you enough space to hand-tighten the filter. I use one of those adjustable 3/8" drive filter wrenches to spin the filter off. I wouldn't want to poke my hand up in there while the engine is hot, though. Definately a cold engine project.

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess im screwed too, i have the tow and skids too. i guess ill just take it to the dealer where i bought it from and have them deal with it.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as mentioned a while back I still cant seem to find a way to get to my filter from the top -- without removing a lot of stuff. Well to illistrate my point I finally got off my ass and took a picture of the engine bay (quick pic so its not that great but you get the idea)
You must be registered for see images

broncsrule

Reaction score
electric fan

Here is the skinny...Just did this last weekend.

Just passed 12,000 miles and decided to go with Mobile 1 syn. I pulled the directions to change oil from one of these forums, not sure which though. You have to pull out the electric fan. Only two bolts and power wire. Kind of a pain to re-install. I don't want to take the fan out everytime, so I will probably pay someone to do it next time.
I will probably try jacking up the front end to see if I can get the angle I need to do it from below first though.
Anyone with any other tips would be great though.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn I think you made the oil change much harder for yourself by doing that.

btw In my pic it appears I've got the fan shroud for the HD cooling fan, but there is actually just dead space under that black plastic infront of the negine.

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SRotblat said:
as mentioned a while back I still cant seem to find a way to get to my filter from the top -- without removing a lot of stuff. Well to illistrate my point I finally got off my ass and took a picture of the engine bay (quick pic so its not that great but you get the idea)

We have quite the different set up here. See in my pics I can reach the oil filter with no problems.

jasimon

Reaction score
Mine has a factory installed trough that the oil drains right out through the skid plate. I also have the towing pack. and can't reach from the top. One of those cup type filter wrenches - 3/8ths socket attachment with one long and one short extension makes removal fairly simple. I can just get my arm in from the bottom to start filter then use wrench to tighten. First time I didn't notice the trough and caught the oil with my chest!! I have an 05 Limited.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
SRotblat said:
that would certainly do it....wonder why they made that change :-k

IT's not a change. Your KJ has the other/extra cooling fan. TRAILN's doesn't, and neither does mine. Just a longer fan shroud.