changing a valve cover gasket on a 2006 3.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forgive me this is my first write up on a how to and I was working outside (no garage yet) and it was a bit chilly . and I only did the passenger side.
I have provided a link to the pics with descriptions and will try to explain a little more here.
http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb268/dakotasport2003/changing valve cover gasket/

tools required
3/8 drive ratchet
1/4 drive ratchet
deep ten mm socket for both
and an eight mm for the 3/8 drive ratchet (I preferred the 3/8 drive because of its small size as space is limited )
ten mm box/open end wrench ( you will notice I bent the the box end of the wrench slightly for easier access to the rear bolt on the bottom.
gasket scraper
flat end screw driver
wire ties
1/4 inch bolt. ( or what ever will fit snugly in the over flow hose )
pliers (to remove over flow hose clamp)
first I removed the air box, then the radiator over flow bottle ,the rear coil pack , the oil filler tube.
I removed the hose from the filler tube then followed it to the rear of the engine bay, removed it and set it aside. the hose from the air box will have to be removed as well.

just follow it two the rear of the engine bay and remove it and set aside it has a tee in it and runs to both sides of the engine bay.

once you have the bolts all out gently pry on one corner of the valve cover to loosen it.

now with just the right choice of words and patience, the valve cover can be lifted and slid downward and toward the front of the engine bay .

once out remove old gasket and replace with new one .
clean engine surface with gasket scraper, careful not to nick the aluminum surface. reassemble and check for leaks. :happy107:

hope this is of some help.

Last edited:

johnnyeos3

Reaction score
Hey trying to replace the valve cover gasket now and got stuck on the part where u have to remove the 2 plastic clamp holding the aluminum looking hoses together. how did u go about removing them???
thanks

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question that is semi-related.

When taking off the oil filler tube, was there a gasket between it and the block? Is there anything that needs to be replaced when you remove the oil filler tube and re-install or is just a unbolt/remove and bolt-on again deal?

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey trying to replace the valve cover gasket now and got stuck on the part where u have to remove the 2 plastic clamp holding the aluminum looking hoses together. how did u go about removing them???
thanks

sorry for taking so long to reply (long work day's)

actually, I broke it trying to pry it open.
when I put it back on I used a zip tie to hold it closed around the hoses.

sorry I couldn't be of more help.

tcek

Reaction score
Parts diagram has a gasket between the oil filler tube and the block. I am replacing both valve cover gaskets this weekend and will attempt to post link to video. I believe the cover bolts are torqued to 105 in/lbs.

I have a question that is semi-related.

When taking off the oil filler tube, was there a gasket between it and the block? Is there anything that needs to be replaced when you remove the oil filler tube and re-install or is just a unbolt/remove and bolt-on again deal?

tcek

Reaction score
Changed my valve cover gaskets out this weekend. Besides what New Jeep Owner stated in his procedure, I also removed and set aside the cruise control and unplugged the coolant hoses from the fire wall. This allow much more room to remove the cover from the passenger side. To take off the black clips holding the coolant hoses together by the oil filler tube, I cut the outer join with a razor blade and broke the center join by using a flat head screw driver and a hammer. The left hand join stayed in place. I then reattached it with a wire tie. Only other advice is to carefully remove the cover and look for snags along the way and gently remove it. Once the gasket seal was broke from the block I was able to remove the cover from its tight quarters in less than five minutes. It's a very doable task, just take your time and work steady.

OrygunKJ

Reaction score
A/C involved in valve cover removal?

New Jeep Owner and tcek: Can you comment on whether your Jeeps have A/C and if you needed to unbolt the compressor and move out of the way to complete the valve cover removal?

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Jeep Owner and tcek: Can you comment on whether your Jeeps have A/C and if you needed to unbolt the compressor and move out of the way to complete the valve cover removal?

so far I have only changed the passenger side valve cover gasket.
so the compressor wasn't an issue for me.
but it looks like there would be room to change the drivers side without removing the compressor. sorry I couldn't be of more help.

jjbjeep

Reaction score
you will have easier access to the passenger side valve cover, if you remove the air intake housing... you have to manhandle it upward to free the grommets, start with the grommet closest to the valve cover and the other two grommets protruding into the wheel well will be easy. with the housing removed the coolant lines going to the heater core will be easy to remove. Remove the oil filler and disconnect the crankcase evap line so it's out of your way as well. If the wiring harness is in your way, carefully mark and disconnect the wiring harness plugs from the sensors, to remember which ones go to what sensor, mark the plugs and the sensors with labeled masking tape. about 9 sensors later the wiring harness should be free until it reaches the firewall, so you can set it aside. You shouldn't have to mess with the A/C at all and probably don't want to. hope this helps.

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts diagram has a gasket between the oil filler tube and the block. I am replacing both valve cover gaskets this weekend and will attempt to post link to video. I believe the cover bolts are torqued to 105 in/lbs.

105in/lbs, so about 9ft/lbs or alittle more than hand tight?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
105in/lbs, so about 9ft/lbs or alittle more than hand tight?

Yep, just snug them down. The grommet is there to prevent the bolts from being over-tightened so no point in trying to crush the grommets with any higher torque values.

Bob

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, one more question..

Can I rig some sort of catch and save all the coolant from the overflow, then just add it back in? It was just changed at the dealership I got it from, its ultra clean. I even saved some of it since they overfilled it when I bought it.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, one more question..

Can I rig some sort of catch and save all the coolant from the overflow, then just add it back in? It was just changed at the dealership I got it from, its ultra clean. I even saved some of it since they overfilled it when I bought it.

Yes, get a cork or something similar to put in the hose coming from the bottom of the coolant reservoir. You'll be surprised how little actually comes out, but just to keep things from getting too sloppy have the cork and a Cool Whip container or something to catch what comes out of the hose.

Then use the stuff you saved to refill the tank to the correct level when you've completed the valve cover gasket repair.

Bob

Fisher2989

Reaction score
Alright so I'm going to replace a leaky valve cover gasket on the passenger side of my 03 Liberty...Should I go ahead and do both of them or just replace the leaker...im a big fan of the motto if it aint broke dont fix it

Fisher2989

Reaction score
Also while I have the valve cover off, is there anything else I should check out while I'm in there (excessive dirt/sludge, valves, etc...)

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so I'm going to replace a leaky valve cover gasket on the passenger side of my 03 Liberty...Should I go ahead and do both of them or just replace the leaker...im a big fan of the motto if it aint broke dont fix it

I'm a big fan of replacing both sides of something that comes in pairs. I hate having to go back in a week or two and do the other side.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the passenger side of my wife's a few months ago. The driver side wasn't leaking so I didn't bother with it. I still have the gasket boxed up just in case. There are a few threads on how to do it on here which are really good. While I had the cover off I just looked inside and it was nice and clean, no dirt, sludge, or other contaminants.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.