Cell Phone Providers

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tommudd, Oct 5, 2016.

1. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Who are you using?
    Are you happy with them?
    What plan do you have and how many are on it?

Looking at switching ( again ) to someone else
    Had Sprint in the past
    Now with Consumer Cellular
    We use a lot due to wife in NC, texting and calling to Tanzania
    Use all of the free ways of calling/ texting but data still goes fast

2. dude1116

dude1116 Full Access Member

T-mobile. The customer service is good but lots of dropped calls. Customer service could also be because it's a business account. Service isn't the greatest. Company pays for it.

Had a Verizon family plan and it was solid as far as service goes. I had no trouble with customer service in the past but others nowadays have told me otherwise. Expensive but reliable.

3. Jbergun

Jbergun Full Access Member

T mobile family plan its decent easy to upgrade with their jump program. Makes it nice when the wife wants to upgrade every iphone. Never had a dropped call always run out of data.

4. Leeann

Leeann Full Access Member

AT&T, family plan with three lines. Unlimited family texting (the stepdaughter being on the plan absolutely requires this), a certain number of shared minutes. Calling each other is free - mobile to mobile - as is calling any friends and family who also have AT&T. Husband and I both have unlimited data as we were grandfathered in. Stepdaughter has 3 GB/month.

Very few dropped calls, wi-fi calling enabled so helps when inside buildings with poor service.

5. turblediesel

turblediesel memberable

Walmart straight talk wireless, one phone. Hardly works for the first week of the month. Drops many calls. Always runs out of data. Usually sucks for the last week of the month.

6. TwoBobsKJ

TwoBobsKJ Full Access Member

They get ragged on a lot, but I've been with Sprint for about 15 years and they've gotten a lot better over the past couple of years.

We have 6 phones and one cellular iPad on our plan (we cover both of our parents plus home phone), 20GB of shared data, unlimited minutes to any phone, unlimited text for about $275/month. Plus my mom-in-law calls family in Germany so for $5/month she has international calling at 8 cents a minute (she pays for that when she needs it - I can turn it on and off whenever I want.)

Sprint's coverage has increased and very few dropped calls. I've thought about switching to T-Mobile as my kids did but they don't travel much and the coverage seems to be concentrated around big cities so there's no point in going through the hassle of switching for no benefit. My travels require me to have coverage all over the place, including rural areas that T-Mobile doesn't reach.

And don't talk to me about Verizon :favorites68:

Bob

7. HoosierJeeper

HoosierJeeper Gold Supporter/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Currently have a mix of Sprint and US Cellular. Can't really say one does better than the other as far as coverage. Both seem pretty good except for the most rural areas out here. Maybe a slight edge to US Cellular. But Sprint has unlimited data which is harder to find.

8. Dave

Dave Administrator Administrator Moderator

I was also with Sprint for years and years, I think from their beginning. They have vastly improved coverage over time and had unlimited plans. We only have one place that no cell phone works here in NY and that is the 100 mile strip of mountain interstate going up to Plattsburgh on the Canadian border. They have emergency solar powered phones every mile on the interstate. Otherwise, Sprint worked everywhere and no dropped calls.

My usage changed over the years and I don't use the phone as much and that is the main reason (and cost) I just switched to Consumer Cellular due to my lower usage but haven't been with them very long. Haven't had any trouble with them but I just switched.

Dave

9. ThatsMrGimp2U

ThatsMrGimp2U Full Access Member

Find the provider who operate on the lower frequency spectrum in your area and go with them. Typically it will be the company that established themselves first in the area. Here in Toledo it was Alltel (now Verizon) and everyone else pretty much sucks.

I know they are expensive and the people in stores can be pushy, but in my travels they have been the most consistent provider that I have used.

Only go with the pay as you go companies such as boost, metro, cricket, etc, if you are patient when it comes to dropped calls and slow internet speeds. The networks that they operate on will always take priority.

10. eyehatetofu

eyehatetofu JPOTM WINNER

I do the pay as you go with Straight Talk. Sounds hokey as hell but my phone runs on the Verizon network which is hands down the best out west. Bonus is I don't have to pay Verizon's prices. 5gb of data and unlimited everything else for $45. Don't know about international calling, but I've been happy the 5ish years I've been with them. Never have dropped calls, 4G speeds are fast, and never have any issues.

11. profdlp

profdlp Grouchy Old Cuss

TracFone for me, and my company pays for it. Since I hate telephones, my available minutes, data, and texts are always greater at the end of the month than they were at the beginning.

12. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thanks everyone, still pricing etc to see what/ where we are going to go next. Wife wanting one , me another, so we'll see who wins out in the end !:happy175: