CD changer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill chase

Reaction score
Do any of you have a 2002-2007 with factory cd changer mounted in cargo area? Could you post some pictures of it if you do???

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an 02:

You must be registered for see images attach

My 05 has a net in front of it but pretty much the same.

Bill chase

Reaction score
Ok so I need an interior quarter panel without the pocket and net to mount the changer in my 2006

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an 02:

My 05 has a net in front of it but pretty much the same.
Mines the same in 04

2004 3.7 limited

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Do what makes you happy (not being snarky at all - I mean it), but an in-dash head unit with MP3 capability will let you carry hundreds of albums and have instant access to all of them. Why settle for six discs?

Bill chase

Reaction score
Do what makes you happy (not being snarky at all - I mean it), but an in-dash head unit with MP3 capability will let you carry hundreds of albums and have instant access to all of them. Why settle for six discs?

I have an alpine dvd nav unit with iPod and a usb port for other music. I'm using a processor that has optical inputs for the cd player in the dash and for the cd changer for sound quality music. But yes I listen to iPod music daily... think I have about 4 grand in my system... pics soon... then you'll see why the cd changer hahaha. For high quality music the original is best. Mp3 players compress the music and make vocals and mids sound nasally.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to be able to hear the difference. Now I am half deaf. I'm sure with a high end system like that you'll get your money's worth out of the CD changer. :)

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to be able to hear the difference. Now I am half deaf. I'm sure with a high end system like that you'll get your money's worth out of the CD changer. :)

Me too, well I'm almost all deaf. A 4 grand stereo is something I would have loved 30-35 years ago. My 6 disc changer works fine but absolutely no sound comes out. It shuffles CD and says it's playing but no sound. Like I said I am almost all deaf but not completely. The front slot works fine as does the circa 2005 nav system (2005 disc with maps :gr_grin:).

Old nav maps seem like Mayhem waiting to happen... :Insane:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't you hack in some new maps? I know when I first got my Garmin and was messing around with stuff like that there were sites with all sorts of ways to add new maps to old units.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a process since it only runs off of DVDs and must be updated in a specific sequence from the DVDs. Sounds like some work and some don't. I looked into it when I first got the Jeep back in Dec of 16 and I think you can get it up to about 2012 or 2013 but I don't use it anyway. Wasn't worth the effort and the excitement of following a map from 2005 is quite invigorating. I feel like Lewis and/or Clark.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an alpine dvd nav unit with iPod and a usb port for other music. I'm using a processor that has optical inputs for the cd player in the dash and for the cd changer for sound quality music. But yes I listen to iPod music daily... think I have about 4 grand in my system... pics soon... then you'll see why the cd changer hahaha. For high quality music the original is best. Mp3 players compress the music and make vocals and mids sound nasally.
You do know a CD is also digital media with compression right?
Best is vinyl to tape. But if your ripping CD's mobile you will hear a difference if you use FLAC format which has was less compression.
It needs more room per file but storage is cheep. I think my multi disk player in my ram can do FLAC.

Bill chase

Reaction score
You do know a CD is also digital media with compression right?
Best is vinyl to tape. But if your ripping CD's mobile you will hear a difference if you use FLAC format which has was less compression.
It needs more room per file but storage is cheep. I think my multi disk player in my ram can do FLAC.
take a cd, rip a copy of it into flac. play that flac file on your system and measure its response into the amps from head unit, as well as out of them to your speakers measure with an oscilloscope, and other calibration instruments. now play the cd through the exact same system. and tell me the flac is just as good.. news flash but at this level of high end system even flac ***** compared to the original cd bypassing the changers dac and feeding it optically straight into a high end digital signal processor. it is a measured difference, and a difference you can hear. I am not talking about a cheap system,, but a very very high end audio system. easily costing over 10 grand new, competition level stuff. no sir. I will take the cd all day.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
And here I am, 90-100 minutes a day in one of my KJs and never turn the sound system on ! LOL
I'd rather have a good suspension system

Good luck Mr. Chase

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Now a days Cd's are a bit outdated. You can get a new powerful head unit, blue tooth music from phone, or even play from a USB stick.
Remote control that comes in handy, and hands free calls in a nice feature as well.
Go to https://www.crutchfield.com/S-iw9OJDielHh/m_266150/Car-Stereos.html and explore. I installed a single Din Pioneer.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
When I buy music I always buy the CD unless the cost of the digital download is so much much less that I can't pass it up. That is mainly because I want to OWN my music and not have it be "mine" only at the whim of some DRM crap.

For my Jeep I rip them to mp3s because it makes more sense to keep a $20 USB stick in my Jeep and not several hundred dollars worth of CDs. Besides, with the road noise I don't care about a little loss in quality. I also rip at 256mbps so even my mp3s sound pretty nice.