Catalytic converter help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluerolo

Reaction score
Just diagnosed a bad bank 2 cat in my 2005 liberty... anyone have any luck cutting out the passenger side and replacing just that as opposed to buying the whole 2 cat y pipe?

also which if any aftermarket cats work without throwing codes soon after install? thx

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If one cat went won't be long after I'd bet the other would go. Just bite the bullet and do it right. Never heard of anyone having luck with after market cats not a a Liberty.

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If one cat went won't be long after I'd bet the other would go. Just bite the bullet and do it right. Never heard of anyone having luck with after market cats not a a Liberty.

Ab-so-lutely. One is bad other will follow.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cats can be removed without cutting out the y-pipes - though the V-clamp that holds the cat to the exhaust manifold requires a ratcheting box end 10mm wrench. But it is a PAIN to get your hand up there to loosen it - and getting that clamp around the manifold flange and the flange of the cat is truly a challenge. You'll need a buddy's help.

The bolts that hold the cat flange to the crosspipe will break as soon as you try to unbolt them - just replace with stainless bolts from the hardware store and reuse the springs. Replace the gasket also - AutoZone sells them but you'll need to cut it in half to make it fit.

I purchased Walker replacement cats two years ago and they're fine. Got them for about $200 each.

Bob

groundpounder

Reaction score
The cats can be removed without cutting out the y-pipes - though the V-clamp that holds the cat to the exhaust manifold requires a ratcheting box end 10mm wrench. But it is a PAIN to get your hand up there to loosen it - and getting that clamp around the manifold flange and the flange of the cat is truly a challenge. You'll need a buddy's help.

The bolts that hold the cat flange to the crosspipe will break as soon as you try to unbolt them - just replace with stainless bolts from the hardware store and reuse the springs. Replace the gasket also - AutoZone sells them but you'll need to cut it in half to make it fit.

I purchased Walker replacement cats two years ago and they're fine. Got them for about $200 each.

Bob

I'm in the process of trying to replace the left cat on a 2002 Liberty 3.7L (not because the converter is bad, but because it has a pinhole exhaust leak). I was able to get the 2 bolts out of the bottom flange with no problem and separated that. After much hassle and scraped knuckles and forearms, I have the top clamp loosened (with the afore-mentioned 10mm ratcheting box wrench), but the converter seems to be stuck to the manifold still. I just want to see if anyone else has run into this before i go too crazy with the hammer. This is the first time I've worked on anything with that style clamp.

Rich

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to replace the left cat on a 2002 Liberty 3.7L (not because the converter is bad, but because it has a pinhole exhaust leak). I was able to get the 2 bolts out of the bottom flange with no problem and separated that. After much hassle and scraped knuckles and forearms, I have the top clamp loosened (with the afore-mentioned 10mm ratcheting box wrench), but the converter seems to be stuck to the manifold still. I just want to see if anyone else has run into this before i go too crazy with the hammer. This is the first time I've worked on anything with that style clamp.

Rich

That clamp is shaped like a V inside - so the only way to get the cat off is to remove the clamp completely. Once it is off the cat will drop down on your chest and make you say words that will get you in trouble with your Mom :signs8:

Getting that clamp back on is the hard part and where a friend's hand will come in...Uh... Handy

You have to squeeze the clamp and have someone start the nut on the bolt while you also hold the cat up to the flange of the manifold. Would be easier if the Jeep is up on a lift but I didn't have one - I chose to install indoor plumbing rather than spend the money on a hydraulic lift (it's late and I feel like being a smart**s :laughing1: )

And a new clamp is a good idea too. They're expensive - about $25 at the dealership - but the old ones are burnt and I don't trust them once they come off. Besides, the FSM says they can't be reused. Hope this helps.

Bob

doolop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be prepared to cut/brake the bolt off. Just had to do this on my 02. And the clamp is $36 or so.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

groundpounder

Reaction score
Good thing my mom lives miles away in another state. lol It's also a good thing that the y-pipe held the converter in place when I finally freed the clamp, since it would have fallen on my head, not my chest.

Well, when I read the reply about the clamp not being reusable, it was after hours, so I figured I would try to reuse the old one, which seemed in good shape. That of course resulted in an exhaust leak, so back out it came. I found one at the 3rd closest dealership for $27.35 (the 2 closer ones could get it the next day for the same price). The funny thing was that a couple regular parts stores could get one the next day, but they were almost twice the price.

This job would have been much easier if the t-bolt on the clamp wasn't pointed towards the firewall. I installed the new one pointing towards the left side of the vehicle so I could get on it with a deep socket and ratchet from above. The other ridiculously hard aspect of this job was unplugging/plugging in the connectors for the O2 sensors. Could they have possibly made those more inaccessible?

The converter I installed was from Rock Auto and more than $50 cheaper than one from a local parts house (it was around $175). The can was shaped differently and a little bigger, but it fit good and there were no interference issues. If I have to take it out again though, it looks like it might be a little harder to get a screwdriver/pry bar up in there to free that clamp.

Thanks for the help!

Rich

Members online

No members online now.