Cargo Space weight limit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the most weight you've ever had in the back of your Liberty? I need to pick up some wood pellets for my stove and I wonder if I can get the full ton in there or not. I'm thinking no but it raised the question, so I'm asking.

Also, do you have a stock or aftermarket suspension carrying all the weight?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you need a trailer or a cousin with a full size P/U or something.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The most loaded Kj ever seen with OME HD coils is Ryan's. He had like 12 bundles of wood and all the camping gear floor to ceiling when he left for camping.The back rack was used full with wood. MY pic shows after all the wood was gone going home.
If you are stock forget it. Trailer it!!
37210[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• AliceLake00E.jpg
    AliceLake00E.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 0

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trust me as I work in the weighing and measuring industry
you would NEVER want to put over 500# in the cargo area of a KJ
with the seat up
considering that 500# behind the rear axle of an F150 puts a hurting on it
and 1000# will bottom them out
and 2000# on a basic F250 right over the rear axle will put the bump stops with in 2" of touching

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be interesting to drive.
Biggest I've driven was our work trucks close to their 26,000 gvwr. My old f150 was great with a 9,000# trailer and on a separate occasion about a ton in the back.
With the kj the most I've had in the back was about 500# of beer and wine and it was the best ride the kj had given me.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
The most loaded Kj ever seen with OME HD coils is Ryan's. He had like 12 bundles of wood and all the camping gear floor to ceiling when he left for camping.The back rack was used full with wood. MY pic shows after all the wood was gone going home.
If you are stock forget it. Trailer it!!
37212[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Next year we will have a cozy tent trailer Tim!
Then I can carry even more fire wood!:happy175:

Attachments

• AliceLake00E.jpg
    AliceLake00E.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 0

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be interesting to drive.
Biggest I've driven was our work trucks close to their 26,000 gvwr. My old f150 was great with a 9,000# trailer and on a separate occasion about a ton in the back.
With the kj the most I've had in the back was about 500# of beer and wine and it was the best ride the kj had given me.

I can say with out a doubt you did not have a ton ,2000#'s, in the bed of an F150 ,the helpers and less experienced techs get F150's and they can not
handle 2 1000# test blocks ,and these are certified 1000# blocks to +/- .01#'s
so yeah they weigh that much for sure
I also doubt the 500# of beer in the back of a KJ
beer weighs about the same as water so 8.34# per gallon
that would have been over 50 gallons of beer
can not see that fitting
1 can = 12 oz
1 gallon = 10.5 cans
50 gallons = 500+ cans

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The beer was 24 bottle cases of the glass variety and wine was 12/750ml along with some 50# sacks of bulgar. I can probably find the invoice and get exact weight but I didn't think I'd have to go into the details of my cargo to share a weight experience. Hell, a couple of my friends in the back seat is about 500#. Friggin meat heads.

And the "about a ton" that I referenced for the ford was a relatively short trip with the cargo being some refrigeration equipment for our freezers at work (3 big cast iron compressors) and a couple forklift batteries. Saved about a grand picking the stuff up ourselves and I was already in the area with my pickup getting the batteries when I got a call to pick up the compressors which was why I didn't go to the office to get one of the work trucks.

I could very well be off by a couple hundred pounds for the stuff in the pickup but the jeep was well within 50# of 500# (10% error of margin isn't too bad, right?).

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. all electric here. They're old forklifts so the batteries are not the huge ones on todays forklifts. They're the old ones that you walk behind. Still self propelled but not as long as the sit down ones cause we have some relatively tight spaces.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. all electric here. They're old forklifts so the batteries are not the huge ones on todays forklifts. They're the old ones that you walk behind. Still self propelled but not as long as the sit down ones cause we have some relatively tight spaces.

Let me be blunt
You are lying
Those batteries weigh in at about 500# each
The ones on sit down lifts go over 2000#
that was the reason why I asked
I know what they weigh and knew you
would answer the way you did

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey now, no fighting kids. I was asking a simple question that I believe was answered in the first reply. No need to fight. Who cares what an F150 can carry. I don't have one of those so it doesn't matter.

So, 1150# is the limit but 500# suggested in rear area. so 1000# with the seats down would be OK. That means 2 trips. I think I'm just gonna borrow a friends truck (NOT an F150).

Thanks for the input. Now go and play outside and be nice to each other!

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also doubt the 500# of beer in the back of a KJ
beer weighs about the same as water so 8.34# per gallon
that would have been over 50 gallons of beer
can not see that fitting
1 can = 12 oz
1 gallon = 10.5 cans
50 gallons = 500+ cans

A full keg weighs about 130, so about 4 kegs will do it and easily fit in the KJ with the seats down. So really it's not too far of a stretch in that aspect.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me be blunt
You are lying
Those batteries weigh in at about 500# each
The ones on sit down lifts go over 2000#
that was the reason why I asked
I know what they weigh and knew you
would answer the way you did

Believe what you want. Even the tag on the lift has the battery weight as min 325 max 425 so based on that total battery weight was less than 900#.
Not to be rude but I couldn't care less if you don't believe me but I am not a liar and it doesn't sit well with me being called one. I may be wrong or misinformed but I'm no liar.

Back to topic, let us know how it goes with the wood. I don't think you'd have any problems with 1,000# spread throughout the back. How big is a half ton pile of wood, anyways?

Edit: the compressors totaled just over 600# not 900 that I thought so it was closer to 3/4 ton than the one ton I thought it was. I feel stupid now.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shame I couldn't generate this many replies when I asked about my front springs. Maybe I should start an argument? That seems to get everybody talking............ Hehe :smokin:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe what you want. Even the tag on the lift has the battery weight as min 325 max 425 so based on that total battery weight was less than 900#.

maybe
but I can tell you this
the replacement "cells" are basically AGM car batteries that weigh about 70# each
each pack has a minimum of 4 cells some have 6 ,48V or 72V
4 X 70 is 280#
the steel frame that holds them is about another 150-200# ,depending on the machine
wow look there that is 430 to 480# min.

Of you ever hear me say there is cheese on the moon be sure to bring some crackers

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe
but I can tell you this
the replacement "cells" are basically AGM car batteries that weigh about 70# each
each pack has a minimum of 4 cells some have 6 ,48V or 72V
4 X 70 is 280#
the steel frame that holds them is about another 150-200# ,depending on the machine
wow look there that is 430 to 480# min.

Of you ever hear me say there is cheese on the moon be sure to bring some crackers

It's possible. Thing is so old it's only twelve volt. Our pallet jacks use four 6 volt golf cart batteries and run circles around the lift.
I asked our a/c guy about the compressors and he said they're a little over 200# each and when I picked em up the company was going out of business and I guess they hired some temp people to help get the stuff out quicker cause that kid said they're about 300# each.

Either way the pickup handled it just fine and had a nice lowered look :p

Latest posts

Members online