car wont start after filling petrol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello guys,

have a funny problem ,

like a week ago after some serious offroad trip in wadi and desert

after filling up petrol car doesnt start normally ,

i need to keep trying and pressing gas pad till it starts ,sometimes from 2nd trial and some times maybe 5th or more.

any suggestions please ?

car is liberty 2007 export specs

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J-Thompson,

I'm picking up that his first language is not "American". ;)

I had a similar problem to this. It turned out that my evap canister was clogged. There is a charcoal canister that is part of the evap system. As you fill up the tank, the fumes are stored in this canister. If there is no way for the fumes out of the tank, it can cause this. So check the Evap Canister and make sure your Canister Purge Solenoid is working. Usually if the purge solenoid goes bad, it throws a code.

My canister was clogged. When I gassed up, the jeep would do exactly what yours is. I simply took it out, cleaned it, and put it back in. Fixed the problem.

Last edited:

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually call it JEEP all the time :)

and yes you got me Daveos my first language isn't American ,

thanks for the quick reply ,just wanted to know where can i find that evap canister ?

how to clean it also ?

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually call it JEEP all the time :)

and yes you got me Daveos my first language isn't American ,

thanks for the quick reply ,just wanted to know where can i find that evap canister ?

how to clean it also ?

Here is another forum with more info on it:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/figured-out-my-p0442-code-i-think-33083/index2.html

If it is the same as my 03 liberty, the evap. canister is located in front of the gas tank.

You must be registered for see images attach

9. Evap canister

You don't need to remove the metal frame thing it is attached to.

It has 1 bolt securing it with a nut. You have to hold backup on the nut to remove the bolt. You should be able to wiggle the canister out after you remove that one bolt. There are 3 hoses going to it as well. The plastic clips on those hoses break easily. Treat them with care. I would check for dirt in the hoses. The You should be able to cover one hole on the evap canister and blow air through it out the other hole. Do this for all three holes to make sure air flow is good. If it is not, use an air compressor to blow it out really good. I would also check your fuel filter. I am from a high desert, fine sand will find its way into everything.

I would think if there were any leaks in the system, you would be getting an evap code. No engine codes at all?

Purge Solenoid

The purge solenoid is by the battery. Very easy to remove and inspect for dirt ect.

Last edited:

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is another forum with more info on it:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/figured-out-my-p0442-code-i-think-33083/index2.html

If it is the same as my 03 liberty, the evap. canister is located in front of the gas tank.

1. Evap canister
2. The bolt you need to remove to get the evap canister out.

You don't need to remove the metal frame thing it is attached to.

It has 1 bolt securing it with a nut. You have to hold backup on the nut to remove the bolt. You should be able to wiggle the canister out after you remove that one bolt. There are 3 hoses going to it as well. The plastic clips on those hoses break easily. Treat them with care. I would check for dirt in the hoses. The You should be able to cover one hole on the evap canister and blow air through it out the other hole. Do this for all three holes to make sure air flow is good. If it is not, use an air compressor to blow it out really good. I would also check your fuel filter. I am from a high desert, fine sand will find its way into everything.

I would think if there were any leaks in the system, you would be getting an evap code. No engine codes at all?

That was quick :)

no there is no codes at all dashboard are totally normal ,
regarding fuel filter i saw in internet that its one module with the pump and its inside the tank ,so to check it you need to remove the tank or what ?

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was quick :)
no there is no codes at all dashboard are totally normal ,
regarding fuel filter i saw in internet that its one module with the pump and its inside the tank ,so to check it you need to remove the tank or what ?

The KJ actually has 2 fuel filters. One is on the pump, another is mounted in line on the tank.

A few forums on it:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/another-one-how-replace-fuel-filter-46894/ <- link

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-change-fuel-filter-27498/ <- link

After you open the little access panel in the back of the jeep, it is easy to change it. It simply unclips, and the new one clips on. I have done it twice to mine.

I had to use a screw driver and hammer to remove the sealant they put around the access panel to the top of the gas tank, pain in the ...

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ actually has 2 fuel filters. One is on the pump, another is mounted in line on the tank.

A few forums on it:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/another-one-how-replace-fuel-filter-46894/ <- link

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-change-fuel-filter-27498/ <- link

After you open the little access panel in the back of the jeep, it is easy to change it. It simply unclips, and the new one clips on. I have done it twice to mine.

I had to use a screw driver and hammer to remove the sealant they put around the access panel to the top of the gas tank, pain in the ...

Thanks man,

think will check the Evap ,hoses and solenoid first if all ok then will think about filter and that access panel hedach.

BTW how i know if the solenoid is ok ?

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man,

think will check the Evap ,hoses and solenoid first if all ok then will think about filter and that access panel hedach.

BTW how i know if the solenoid is ok ?

It will usually throw a code if it is bad. I would take it off and inspect it for dirt.

OPERATION
The duty cycle EVAP canister purge solenoid (DCP)
regulates the rate of vapor flow from the EVAP canister
to the intake manifold. The Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) operates the solenoid.
During the cold start warm-up period and the hot
start time delay, the PCM does not energize the solenoid.
When de-energized, no vapors are purged. The
PCM de-energizes the solenoid during open loop operation.
The engine enters closed loop operation after it
reaches a specified temperature and the time delay
ends. During closed loop operation, the PCM cycles
(energizes and de-energizes) the solenoid 5 or 10
times per second, depending upon operating conditions.
The PCM varies the vapor flow rate by changing
solenoid pulse width. Pulse width is the amount
of time that the solenoid is energized. The PCM
adjusts solenoid pulse.

I believe from that, if the jeep is off, no air should be able to pass through the solenoid. I determined mine was bad by taking it out when the jeep was off and blowing into one of inlets. Air was passing through.

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will usually throw a code if it is bad. I would take it off and inspect it for dirt.

OPERATION
The duty cycle EVAP canister purge solenoid (DCP)
regulates the rate of vapor flow from the EVAP canister
to the intake manifold. The Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) operates the solenoid.
During the cold start warm-up period and the hot
start time delay, the PCM does not energize the solenoid.
When de-energized, no vapors are purged. The
PCM de-energizes the solenoid during open loop operation.
The engine enters closed loop operation after it
reaches a specified temperature and the time delay
ends. During closed loop operation, the PCM cycles
(energizes and de-energizes) the solenoid 5 or 10
times per second, depending upon operating conditions.
The PCM varies the vapor flow rate by changing
solenoid pulse width. Pulse width is the amount
of time that the solenoid is energized. The PCM
adjusts solenoid pulse.

I believe from that, if the jeep is off, no air should be able to pass through the solenoid. I determined mine was bad by taking it out when the jeep was off and blowing into one of inlets. Air was passing through.

So i checked the Solenoid i found the plastic hose going to CAN is broken just before the rubber connection it was hard to see while its in place ,

solenoid it self seemed ok ,i tried to blow air in CAN not passing

could it be that broken hose ?

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i checked the Solenoid i found the plastic hose going to CAN is broken just before the rubber connection it was hard to see while its in place ,

solenoid it self seemed ok ,i tried to blow air in CAN not passing

could it be that broken hose ?

It *could* be a lot of things. Possibly the hose, the hose needs to be fixed either way. I would crawl under the back of the jeep, inspect all of the hoses going from the tank to the evap canister ect to make sure they are all attached and not broken. Fix the hose to your purge solenoid. Clean the evap canister. Did you clean the canister yet?

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It *could* be a lot of things. Possibly the hose, the hose needs to be fixed either way. I would crawl under the back of the jeep, inspect all of the hoses going from the tank to the evap canister ect to make sure they are all attached and not broken. Fix the hose to your purge solenoid. Clean the evap canister. Did you clean the canister yet?

i fixed the hose ,not yet the canister ,but since i fix the hose i filled up once and it started normally ,but still i want to check all the hoses and the canister as you advised hopefuly get some time soon.

will fill again today maybe will update you.

Thanks & Regards

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep seems to be fine since that i fix that solenoid broken hose never happen again, didn't had time to check canister.

thank you Daveos ,and thanks to everyone.

BR,
Ahmed