Can't get axle nut off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I am doing some work on the ol' girl and need to remove the axle nut. I originally didn't have my front driveshaft in and the axle just spun; didn't think that part through. So I tried having someone step on the brakes, but that was a no go; I could still spin the axle with the brakes applied. So I throw the front driveshaft back in and throw her in 4 low. Damn axle still spins. Now the Jeep is up on jack stands and my thought process is that maybe since the Jeep didn't move the 4wd isn't actually engaged? Don't know, but I need to get this damn axle nut off and am sitting dead in the water until I can. Ideas?

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was not. Then I realized that it should be. Then I realized I shouldn't quit my job to become a mechanic. :D Got it all figured out now.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was not. Then I realized that it should be. Then I realized I shouldn't quit my job to become a mechanic. :D Got it all figured out now.

For future reference, if you have wheels that have a removable center cap. Just jack her up remove wheel on side that axle nut needs to be removed, remove center cap, put the wheel back on and lower it. Then you can break loose the axle nut with no problems.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For future reference, if you have wheels that have a removable center cap. Just jack her up remove wheel on side that axle nut needs to be removed, remove center cap, put the wheel back on and lower it. Then you can break loose the axle nut with no problems.

Socket doesn't fit through the center cap on my wheels.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
The 36mm socket I had would not fit through the center cap hole .. maybe because it was an impact? :shrug: or just different rims.

Glad you got it worked out .. those moments suck!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Stick a bar/big screwdriver something tough and long in slot of rotor. let it catch on ground,underside of Jeep what have you.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My impact socket fits through the center hole on the stock wheels, not sure about any others.

Kirksjeep

Reaction score
I have an old stock rim from an XJ that has the larger center cap. I put it on with a few lug nuts and then lower the Jeep back to the ground and break the axle nut loose.