can only afford 1 True Trac - front or rear?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Dave_too, May 24, 2020.

1. Dave_too

Dave_too New Member

07 Liberty gasser with a mild OME lift and a full set of skid plates on 29 inch tires. I'm moving to Zambia for a few years for work. They've got good roads, but also lots of great off-road stuff that I'd be crazy to ignore in this once-in-a lifetime opportunity, so I'm thinking an LSD would be in order. I'm settled on the idea of True Trac, but can only afford one. I don't want a locker because it's a daily driver and I'm thinking True Trac for its reliability.

I'm wondering why folks seem to default to the rear diff when they're running one LSD? I get why you'd want to do that with a RWD car, but with 4WD, what are the specific reasons you'd put it in the back instead of the front? I'd be most likely making use of it while I was in 4WD and the rest of the time it would be "out of the way", so to speak.

My second-grade engineering background was mostly on Lincoln Logs, so I'm hoping for some practical enlightenment. I used to have a pickup that in the winter I threw weight into the back of to keep the rear end from slipping as much. My uninformed logic leads me to ask the question whether I could take advantage of the engine weight in the front of the Jeep with an LSD there instead of the theoretically lower-weight rear.

Thanks!

2. renegade 04

renegade 04 Full Access Member

Rear LSD is the way to go and either electronic or air locker upfront.

3. Dave_too

Dave_too New Member

Thanks much!

4. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Front

Dave_too likes this.