Can of Tire Inflator... Bad or Good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading about changing a tire with the little jack under the back seat (it's slow today I admit), and the subject of keeping a can of tire inflator spray came up. Does anyone know if that stuff ruins your tire? Can a tire shop still fix the tire with that stuff inside of it?

I have kept a can in other cars, but I never have used it myself.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never used it, but my understanding is if you leave it in the tire for an extended period of time the tire can no longer be fixed. Something with the stuff never comming off the tire, I dont recall exactly.

IMHO while the little jack that comes with the KJ is not great you should see the stuff they have with the new VWs -- that stuff is worse but it gets the job done. Its not like you need to lift that high to get the wheel on/off, and the most unstable things like loosening/tightening the lugs should be done with the vehicle on the ground not up in the air.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my best friend runs a tire shop, and he told me that if you leave the stuff in the tire that it can become "fixed" to the interior of the tire and dry that way, causing the tire to be permantly out of balance. He also says it is nearly impossible to get out of the tire. He says he has had to replace many tires that customers have brought in because they have used that stuff and then not brought it in straight away. He recommends it for extreme emergencies only and then says you should bring it to the shop immediatly, but even then sometimes that is too late. Just my two cents. I have carried a can in the past, but I quit after he told me this....but sometimes I still think about carrying one.... :-k

rubicondave33

Reaction score
yoda13 said:
my best friend runs a tire shop, and he told me that if you leave the stuff in the tire that it can become "fixed" to the interior of the tire and dry that way, causing the tire to be permantly out of balance. He also says it is nearly impossible to get out of the tire. He says he has had to replace many tires that customers have brought in because they have used that stuff and then not brought it in straight away. He recommends it for extreme emergencies only and then says you should bring it to the shop immediatly, but even then sometimes that is too late. Just my two cents. I have carried a can in the past, but I quit after he told me this....but sometimes I still think about carrying one.... :-k

If you flat out, use the spare. If you cut a tire off-road, a can of sealant probably won't work anyhow.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So true. Shredded a tire up on a trail in Colorado in my pop's Cherokee a few years ago.....it was literally in shreds....that can wouldn't have helped that for sure :alien:

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I thought I had heard about using the stuff, that is that it usually ruins the tire. I have honestly never had a flat tire. I had a roommate years ago that always bought the $19.95 tires and she always had flats. She was pretty good at changing tires! :toothy10:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.