can i replace the a/c clutch without removing the unit from the engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrwoodchuck

Reaction score
i have a 2006 jeep liberty. 3.7 ltr automatic. the clutch is not free wheeling when the a/c is off. makes a noise that i thought was a sticking lifter. but have found it not a lifter. sound is comming from a/c unit. a/c does not work when turned on, but pully jumps ahead about 1/2 inch. then it sticks,jumps,sticks,etc.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!!! I usually like when people introduce themselves when posting for the first time!

Not sure about your initial question, but you can bypass it temporarily if you would like to just get it up and running good and strong before fixing the A/C clutch. Although I'd imagine you'd want that ASAP being in Vegas. ;)

Check here: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/cheap-ac-bypass-**picture**-45242/

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the clutch and bearing as well as the mag coil can be replaced with out removing the pump the fan shroud will have to be removed. If that answers your question.

string

Reaction score
I replaced just the clutch assembly, got it from a local parts store. I think that they use CARQUEST? really cheap fix for a other wise expensive part (compressor)

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me its easyer to to remove the shroud and leave the compressor bolted on to hold it but if you have the hd cooling fan maybe not the best way to do it.

peverheart

Reaction score
I did that this summer. Left the compressor on-not disconnected- , I would suggest not letting it go too much longer, or the clutch will seize, and stop your belt from turning, thus stopping your Liberty from turning...
You will need a puller to get it off, but as long as the compressor component isn't leaking, you should be able to install the new one.

MDT

Reaction score
hi Mikeyt, I just replaced my A/C clutch assembly, took 6 hrs. I had to buy a 5" spring clip remover from Princess Auto, $5.99, the rest was done with great care and a little axel grease. Removed it with a hammer, a small pry bar, a screwdriver, a pair of vice grips, and being very very careful to use equalized taking great care not to bend the shaft of the compressor. The only part that was difficult to put back on was the coil, I drilled a 1 1/4" hole in a 1/2" piece of plywood and tapped it back on to the compressor, this was the longest part of the reassembly. Trying to air gap the clutch was a feeler gauge guessing job but from looking and reading the best guess anybody has is between 10 and 15 thou. so I managed to slip may14 thou. gauge in and have to settle for that, unless anybody has the correct air gap spacing they can give me. I would like to know if anybody sees anything I might have missed before I start it up. This was a first time for me, never seen a compressor clutch before this and had to order from fusion parts in West Palm Beach FL. Everybody along the way was great.
thanks for your help
Mikeyt

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just, hopefully you made sure to get the coil on completely and square. otherwise strange things happen and bad noises occur.
I didn't bother to try and measure my clutch gap. kit came with 4 washers. with only 3 installed the clutch wasn't free. with 4, it was. it turns on and off now like it should, so i'm calling it a win.

Latest posts

Members online