Can I replace alternator? Do I need to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my car diagnosed today at the stealership. $98 those bastards. Something like a clutch in my alternator is broken or just not working well or just making noise. Anyway, I figure it's fine for now, until my alternator stops working all together. So, when it does go out... can I do it myself? I can learn to do most of this type of stuff. Thanks!

btw, 2005 KJ sport

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my car diagnosed today at the stealership. $98 those bastards. Something like a clutch in my alternator is broken or just not working well or just making noise. Anyway, I figure it's fine for now, until my alternator stops working all together. So, when it does go out... can I do it myself? I can learn to do most of this type of stuff. Thanks!

btw, 2005 KJ sport
Your alternator does not have a one-way clutch on it if you have the 3.7 gas engine,only the CRD's have the one-way clutch.If you do have a CRD and that one-way clutch is going out you really should change it ASAP,it does take some special tools to remove and install,or major damage to the alternator will result not to mention if you throw that serp belt you loose everything and can do more damage.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
specialty tools are only required for the crd models. All you need for the 3.7 is some sockets and a little mechanical now how. Remove the drive belt, Disconnect your battery, then remove the wires going to the alternator. One is mounted to a stud with a nut and the other is just a regular connector. Then remove the mounting bolts. 2 going in through the front and one going in on an angle from the top right side. Same for the 2.4 only there isnt that third bolt.