Camshaft sensor replacement made it worse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DocHoof

Reaction score
OK, so here is what happened. My wifes 2004 Liberty with the 3.7 4WD began having intermittent stuttering issues. She said it felt like she was running out of gas, but no check engine light came on (yet). Friday on her way home, it began bucking again, but it was a random once in a while thing. This last time, the check engine light came on. So, being a somewhat mechanically inclined fellow, I googled how to pull engine codes without an OBD scanner and found the neato way Jeep shows the code in the odometer display. Came up with a P0300 random engine misfire and P0344 Camshaft position sensor circuit intermittent. OK, so back to my good ole friend google and find that there are many recommendations to do cam and crank sensors for these codes at the same time. But I'm a cheap bastard who just spent 4 weeks off work for knee surgery and went with just the cam sensor.
Immediately after replacing the cam sensor, car was hard to start, but did after two tries. It idled fine, no issues there. I hit the gas and the problem was like it was hitting a rev limiter at 2400 RPM. The more gas I gave it, the harder the rev limiter seemed to be. Just lightly pressing the throttle and holding 2300, it runs fine. Touch up to 2400 and it drops back to 2200, revs back up and drops again. More throttle, the problem becomes more pronounced. The highest RPM it can reach is 2700ish, but that is with the foot on the floor. Driving and it becomes a rodeo experience.
So, I replaced the cam sensor next, still having the same issue. Rechecked all the connectors on cam and crank sensors; all good. Checked wiring, no visible issues. Pulled everything back apart I did to get to the cam sensor and rechecked that I didn't knock something loose; all good there. Put it back together and still having the same issue. Rechecked engine codes, still showing a P0300 and P0344. What else should I look at to figure out this problem? Seems odd that a random issue becomes a constant issue after replacing the faulty items...

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would replace both and also use mopar sensors.
I don't remember what code mine was but I only replaced the CPS from autozone but I still had issues.
i replaced both cps and cks with mopar parts problem solved.

DocHoof

Reaction score
I put Nappy cam and crank sensors in. Did an ECM reset by removing pos batt cable, putting to grd for 1 min, rehook, turn on key, turn on headlights, turn both off, rehook batt. Rechecked eng codes, all gone. Started jeep, instantly check engine light came on and had cam sensor fault. Still wouldn't rev over 2400 rpm. Replaced both Nappy sensors with old sensors, did all the above steps again and problem is gone. No chk eng light, no error codes. Drove for almost an hour. Got my money back from Nappy, and will be at the dealership tomorrow to pick up OEM replacements.

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I replaced both sensors almost a year ago with BWD. The crank sensor took a shit on me and replaced that one again. I'm sure I got lucky as I have had issues with other sensors/switches. But that being said... How important is that reset? I never got that done but don't seem to be having any issues.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I replaced both sensors almost a year ago with BWD. The crank sensor took a shit on me and replaced that one again. I'm sure I got lucky as I have had issues with other sensors/switches. But that being said... How important is that reset? I never got that done but don't seem to be having any issues.

Not needed on a KJ.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cam position sensor died on me outside Memphis about 18 months ago during morning rush hour - Jeep completely died but I had just enough momentum to get to the shoulder of the highway. Was able to restart it after about 30 minutes then drove to a Chrysler/Jeep dealership that was (thankfully) only about 2 to 3 miles away.

They checked the codes and stated the obvious (I did the key trick so knew what the problem was) and told them to replace both the cam and crank sensors. They could source a Mopar cam sensor but told me after the fact that a Mopar crank sensor wasn't available but they got a NAPA sensor from Arkansas (!) and it carried the same warranty. Told the service writer I was in Ohio and probably wouldn't be making a trip back to Memphis for a warranty repair if the crank sensor took a dump :emotions34:

Anyway, the NAPA sensor DID take a dump about 5000 miles later because it was too long and rubbed against the reluctor ring - see pic below. I replaced it with a Mopar sensor and all's well in Hartville ever since.

You must be registered for see images

Bob

Last edited:

Latest posts