Camber/Caster Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its been 3 alignments after my franky install and I'm still no where near specs. I cant tell if its my caster or camber thats out and the shop says they cant dial it in any more. My tires are stucked in at the bottom/fanned out at the top like such, \---/, when looking at them from the front. I've got about 5/32" more wear on the outside of my tires. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if my liberty has the problems with lower camber adjusting or not, but either way I'm still out of spec in the camber measurement.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Find a new alignment shop for one, they must be :confused: clueless
two what are they going by when trying to set it up, stock specs I hope.
How high are you also? middle of wheel to bottom of fender?
That may have something to do with it.
If you can get the toe and camber within specs you'll be fine
cross caster can be no more than .5 degrees and at least 2-3 degrees
Bet it drives really bad doesn't it!

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they are using stock specs. right now i'm sitting at 22.5" both sides up front. I took it to Kauffman's b/c they offer 12,000 mile warranty, and since i knew i'd be needing several re-alingments once my lift was on I figured they'd do.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I just installed new RRO's A-arms, and the tires on mine looked like what you describe yours looks like, and the alignment shop got mine aligned no problems.

Did they even try to pull the bottoms of the wheels out? My pass. side tire is just slightly pos. at the top. Get them to have another look at the lower control arms.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think they know what they are doing
I'd go elsewhere, doesn't seem like they have done anything

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I shopped around to find a good "jeep" guy and the one I talked to the first time I dropped it off said no problem but to bring it back a few times as the lift settles. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about, but I dont think he's been there each time i drop it off since then.

I did read though how some Liberties dont have an adjustable lower cam bolt. So their LCA's are fixed. I'm hoping to god its not my jeep.

Yeah I got aftermarket UCA's. I went with RRO and so far no problems (after the butt loads i had right after installation).

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I shopped around to find a good "jeep" guy and the one I talked to the first time I dropped it off said no problem but to bring it back a few times as the lift settles. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about, but I dont think he's been there each time i drop it off since then.

I did read though how some Liberties dont have an adjustable lower cam bolt. So their LCA's are fixed. I'm hoping to god its not my jeep.

Yeah I got aftermarket UCA's. I went with RRO and so far no problems (after the butt loads i had right after installation).
Al KJ's have cam bolts installed on the LCA's from the factory.

Getting camber/caster set on a KJ is not easy but if you understand what those cam bolts actually do it's not hard,just takes some time as each one of those cam bolts effects the camber/caster in a different way and both at the same time.

My money is on the RRO UCA's is the fault,I'd stake money on that bet to.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Chrysler shops are scared of lifted Libertys :D:D
Something about them being " un-natural"

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Al KJ's have cam bolts installed on the LCA's from the factory.

Getting camber/caster set on a KJ is not easy but if you understand what those cam bolts actually do it's not hard,just takes some time as each one of those cam bolts effects the camber/caster in a different way and both at the same time.

My money is on the RRO UCA's is the fault,I'd stake money on that bet to.

thanks tjkj but i haven't heard any other kj having a problem with getting their RRO equipped rig aligned. I'm betting on the incompetence of the mechanic who tried to tell me the camber adjustment is in the UCA's not the LCA's.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks tjkj but i haven't heard any other kj having a problem with getting their RRO equipped rig aligned. I'm betting on the incompetence of the mechanic who tried to tell me the camber adjustment is in the UCA's not the LCA's.

Ah there has been, Stumpjumper for one on LOST took the RRO arms off after a few days, installed JBAs and no problems at all then
So between the arms and possibly not a very good alignment tech.....

K27

Reaction score
I am dealing with a similar issue. 06 with a 2" rough country lift. Have had no problems until my ball joint let loose. Replaced all 4 with oem replacements and now I have positive camber issue and no more adjustment according to NTB. They have done all my alignments since the lift with no issue but since the new ball joints they can't get it. Taking it to another shop to see what they think. Only use ntb bc it was $120 for 3 years unlimited alignments. Didn't want to trash my tires. So much for that.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am dealing with a similar issue. 06 with a 2" rough country lift. Have had no problems until my ball joint let loose. Replaced all 4 with oem replacements and now I have positive camber issue and no more adjustment according to NTB. They have done all my alignments since the lift with no issue but since the new ball joints they can't get it. Taking it to another shop to see what they think. Only use ntb bc it was $120 for 3 years unlimited alignments. Didn't want to trash my tires. So much for that.

Ok Rough Country Lift
But you replaced the upper control arms with stock ones?
Lower ball joints as well
Did you install new springs and shocks all around
What height are you at in front
Should be no issues as far as alignments
well except the spacer lift

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F*** NTB, they give out those $60- 6 Month alignments or $120- 3 year because they can't align anything right the first, second, or third time
I got the 6 month package and my steering wheel hasn't been straight since my lift because of them
My alignment is fine, actually at exact spec, but every time I go back and tell them to fix my wheel they get it stuck turned the opposite way it was when I came in!
They're a rip off, all they're good at is taking people's money

Also, your cheap lift might be screwing with your BJs causing them to not be able to get everything to spec
Putting more tension/wear on already weak suspension parts can do a number of negative things