Cam Sensors: Leak Prone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brendon Holt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was crawling around under the Jeep today trying to trace down a passenger side oil leak because, hey, quarantine.

Anyways, until now I'd always just assumed it was the infamous valve cover gaskets but 1) I don't have the burning oil smell in the engine bay, and 2) from underneath the highest most forward point looks to be localized around the cam position sensor and running down the harness, not the VCG.

Do these leak often? Never known them to leak on other cars I've owned. If it's the issue I'd much rather swap out a CPS than do valve cover gaskets, looks to be a pretty easy job.

Still have a leak on the driver's side somewhere as well, need to pull the skid plate off and look to see if it's the oil filter or the sending unit. Those plates sure make it hard to see what's going on under there.

PS: Sorry for spamming the forum with all kinds of random posts, hahaha.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Oil Leaks can be so much fun..Not !
My simple test for valve cover leaks is engine after driving, now with heat protective glove on, taking a paper towel, and wrapping it/ pressing in & up & around the rear side/ around the cover to see if it is leaking.
You must be registered for see images attach

I do not know about leaking often, but getting suspect ares cleaned first for an inspection is necessary.
I use a product called LPS Presolve orange de-greaser that removes oil on contact (Napa may have it) Makes it easier to tell if a sensor's etc leaking.
LPS I also use for really hard to clean areas.
You must be registered for see images attach

Brendon Holt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! I actually did a variant of this this afternoon! After a drive I used a rag to wipe around the valve cover gasket and then around the cam sensor. It definitely seems like the cam sensor is the culprit. Gonna order up a new one and throw it on.

Latest posts

Members online