Building a shopping list for a 3 inch lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazyPear

Reaction score
Firstly this is my first post so be gentle, I'm new to the lifting category. I've been looking into it a little bit now but I'm still a little in over my head. I've looked through a few of the threads here as well. With the intro out of the way.

I recently bought a 02 kj sport and want to put a 2.5"-3" lift go up to 17" wheels, throw on an ARB liberty bull bar off road bumper, trail/racing lights and then minor asthetic things.

I've learned enough that I should avoid RRO, and a few people at work who run lifts have said to avoid Daystar kits and skyjacker kits because they don't always work good with the liberty. I'm planning to do OME for the majority of the lift, from what I've read it's generally the best choice. Outside of that I'm a little lost I guess you could say lol. So any help and tips would be greatly appreciated.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Firstly this is my first post so be gentle, I'm new to the lifting category. I've been looking into it a little bit now but I'm still a little in over my head. I've looked through a few of the threads here as well. With the intro out of the way.

I recently bought a 02 kj sport and want to put a 2.5"-3" lift go up to 17" wheels, throw on an ARB liberty bull bar off road bumper, trail/racing lights and then minor asthetic things.

I've learned enough that I should avoid RRO, and a few people at work who run lifts have said to avoid Daystar kits and skyjacker kits because they don't always work good with the liberty. I'm planning to do OME for the majority of the lift, from what I've read it's generally the best choice. Outside of that I'm a little lost I guess you could say lol. So any help and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you work with some pretty smart people !

So what is your budget?
17 inch wheels ? Why 17s ?
First start reading, most of what you are asking has been discussed a lot over the last 15 years , 15 months, 15 weeks even the last 15 days
Stick with OME
JeepinByAl

Now answer and we'll start the sermon ..............:gr_grin:

LazyPear

Reaction score
I have no problem saving up for the right parts, I'm thinking all in all my budget for the entire build is probably going to be around $3500-$4000.
So sticking with OME and JBA what would be the parts I'd need to get, a quick search will net me the basics for the springs and what not.

LazyPear

Reaction score
As for 17s I'm not sure if 18 would rub a lot so I'm wanting to start gently. Unless wheel spacers would help out with that. I've had a few at work say get them for the rubbing Incase it happens others say to avoid them they cause issues.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from my own reading here, 16" would have more tire options than 17".
that's probably why Tom mentioned that.

LazyPear

Reaction score
from my own reading here, 16" would have more tire options than 17".
that's probably why Tom mentioned that.

Could be, as I said I'm really new and in over my head with lifting and stuff like that. Even with as much reading and asking I've done I'm not quite sure I'm going about it right lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Could be, as I said I'm really new and in over my head with lifting and stuff like that. Even with as much reading and asking I've done I'm not quite sure I'm going about it right lol

Its the size of the tires, not the wheel size that makes a difference
Also width and backspacing
I'll give ya list tomorrow of what I give to customers to think over.Up at 3 AM so later !!!

LazyPear

Reaction score
Its the size of the tires, not the wheel size that makes a difference
Also width and backspacing
I'll give ya list tomorrow of what I give to customers to think over.Up at 3 AM so later !!!

Awesome thank you!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
FRONT:
OME 927 springs
Bilstein front shocks ( uses same as what is required for stock )
Teraflex front bumpstops
REAR:
OME 948 springs
Bilstein rear shocks for 2.5 inch lift
2 hockey pucks per side bolted down to the lower spring perch
ALL above with the exception of the hockey pucks are available at JeepinByAl
wheels 16 X7 with 4 inches of backspacing
tires 245-75-16s , although will lose some mileage and power going to this size

If wanting more ( 3 inches of lift )
Add top plate for 1/2 inches of lift in front
rear one extra upper isolater per side
will set level

LazyPear

Reaction score
Top plate can be found on JBA, like is it a specialty thing or is it simply a 1/2 steel plate mounted on it for extra lift. So going to 17" rims and a larger tire size isn't​ recommended? I was hoping to go up a size like that for winter when it does snow, and for off roading every now and then.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Top plate can be found on JBA, like is it a specialty thing or is it simply a 1/2 steel plate mounted on it for extra lift. So going to 17" rims and a larger tire size isn't​ recommended? I was hoping to go up a size like that for winter when it does snow, and for off roading every now and then.

Its a 1/4 inch plate, giving 1/2 inch of lift
You can go to a larger tire on a 16 inch wheel don't have to go to 17s where there is less choices.
For example lots of KJs came with 235-70-16s which are 29 inches tall
next size up is 245-70-16s which are 29.5 inches tall
255-70-16 is 30
245-75-16 is 30.4
265-70-16s 30.6 etc
So you do not have to go to larger wheels to have bigger tires

Now with that said with say 3 inch lift I would go no larger than 245-75-16s , even then you are going to lose some power and some gas mileage so just be aware

LazyPear

Reaction score
Its a 1/4 inch plate, giving 1/2 inch of lift
You can go to a larger tire on a 16 inch wheel don't have to go to 17s where there is less choices.
For example lots of KJs came with 235-70-16s which are 29 inches tall
next size up is 245-70-16s which are 29.5 inches tall
255-70-16 is 30
245-75-16 is 30.4
265-70-16s 30.6 etc
So you do not have to go to larger wheels to have bigger tires

Now with that said with say 3 inch lift I would go no larger than 245-75-16s , even then you are going to lose some power and some gas mileage so just be aware

Ok, I imagine the power and efficiency loss is barely noticeable since your saying to stick with 16"

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I imagine the power and efficiency loss is barely noticeable since your saying to stick with 16"

FORGET about the size of the wheel!
Its the tire height that affects you the most no matter if you have a 30 inch tall tire on a 16-17-18-19 or 20 inch wheel
AND yes height affects both. I run 4.10 gears ( stock is 3.73 ) with 30.7 inch tall tires to gain back mileage and power

The taller the tire the more noticeable it is
with a 32 inch tall tire and stock gearing I had to keep the overdrive switched off all the time until I got it regeared

Last edited:

LazyPear

Reaction score
Ok, so if I'm following you correctly, with each incease of the tire sizes the power loss and fuel efficiency loss gets greater making the need of a regearing of the gear ratio much more necessary. So if I stick with 245 70 16 instead of 235 70 16 the losses would be smaller in comparison to if I ran 265 70 16 tires which would have a greater loaa in power and efficiency correct? I'm just trying to make sure I understand that correctly.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so if I'm following you correctly, with each incease of the tire sizes the power loss and fuel efficiency loss gets greater making the need of a regearing of the gear ratio much more necessary. So if I stick with 245 70 16 instead of 235 70 16 the losses would be smaller in comparison to if I ran 265 70 16 tires which would have a greater loaa in power and efficiency correct? I'm just trying to make sure I understand that correctly.

Yes,
hardly notice installing 245-70-16s , but going up in size will decrease power and mileage.
For instance on the 03 with 265-70-16s , it wasn't too bad except when you come to small grades on the highway , right where you need to the power to keep an even speed it started to lose and required more power. With the 4.10s it cruise's along like it did stock .

LazyPear

Reaction score
Ok now while looking around the JBA website he does seem full lift kits. What would I expect in durability and performance by buying say his platinum or gold kits versus building my own "kit" also would JBA struts and Control arms be a wise investment?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok now while looking around the JBA website he does seem full lift kits. What would I expect in durability and performance by buying say his platinum or gold kits versus building my own "kit" also would JBA struts and Control arms be a wise investment?

If you go with the JBA coilovers its even better than the OME setup
Thats all I run on mine now
adjustable height wise, can adjust compression and rebound etc

LazyPear

Reaction score
If you go with the JBA coilovers its even better than the OME setup
Thats all I run on mine now
adjustable height wise, can adjust compression and rebound etc

I'll probably do that then, as well as a couple other goodies from his site. Still going to need the pucks for the back with a JBA kit?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll probably do that then, as well as a couple other goodies from his site. Still going to need the pucks for the back with a JBA kit?

Yes still need the bumpstops, depending on the kit he may have them included . If so they are 4 inches long and will need to be cut down

LazyPear

Reaction score
Yes still need the bumpstops, depending on the kit he may have them included . If so they are 4 inches long and will need to be cut down

I'll probably be going with the Platinum, or the very least the gold kits. What's really relieving for me is most everything I'm wanting is on his site as well. Like the bumper. RRO had it but their site is a little on the non user friendly side lol. Well thanks Tom. You definitely know your stuff. I can't wait to start doing this project!