Bug Deflector Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have HORRIBLE luck with stone chips on my windshield. I have two now on my 05 Liberty, and had two on my prior 00 Cherokee.

I was wondering if the front deflector would help with this, or are the small rocks and salt pebbles too heavy to make a difference.

Anyone else have any insight on this?

I'm just destined to get a new windshield.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what Mopar says... (and the photo)

Front Air Deflectors feature a wraparound style that creates an air stream to help direct insects and road spray up and away from the hood and windshield without adversely affecting wiper or washer operation. Constructed of shatter-resistant polymers andcustom molded to complement front end styling.

You must be registered for see images

I don't know that it would stop a rock??? Seems to me that a rock would go over it if it's headed for the windshield. I don't have the deflector, but I remember my last rock chip on the windshield and that rock was moving fast... #-o

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the thing.... but i don't go on the highway enough to say that it really works. I had it on my road trip across country and the bugs still seem to splat on my windshield. Thinking about selling it.

twinlibbies

Reaction score
I've got the bug deflectors on both of my '03s. They don't seem to do much to deflect anything, including bugs, rocks, and water. I just like the way they look, so I'm keeping them.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, doesn't deflect rocks enough to protect windshield. Only really protects leading edge of the hood. At 76,000 km my windshield is pitted enough that I'm thinking of replacing it.

P4M

Reaction score
Rocks

Agreed, a little piece of plastic on your hood does nothing but protect that area of the hood... poorly as well.

I also have history with getting chips. I just avoid big rigs, dirty trucks and anyopne without mudflaps as much as possible.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, what hes hoping is the bug deflector will create enough air movement to push the rocks up and over the windshield. it would work but with a much bigger air deflector, this one is to low profile to do that. I would say it just pushes small bugs up and over, big ones probably still go splat.

alljeep

Reaction score
I'd like to revive this topic for a moment. Is there any difference in the height of the bug deflector for the Liberty between manufacturers? Like, LUND, AVS, Vent Shade, EGR, ect. ect.???

Reason is, LUND offers a "low profile" and a "full height" bug shield for the liberty. I want the tallest one I can get, but all the pictures I see look the same so far...