Brush Guard vs. a deer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were to get a push bar or brush guad, is there on that will withstand a deer at say 25 MPH? With the last few days of warm weather, (not today though) it seems as the deer herd has been pretty active. With the fog and lack of anti-lock brakes, there have been a couple close calls.

Mike

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it will help, but I don't know that it would withstand a direct hit. It might, but I doubt that it would be damage free. When I hit one in Septmeber, it did quite a lot of damage, and the guy at the body shop said that it would have still needed fixing if I had one of these bars... :-k

2003KJ

Reaction score
I will say these things hold up well to deer. Back in October, I was driving down a dark, 2 lane, country road. The same one I take every day atleast 4 times to get back and forth to my house. Anyways, I came over a hill and saw a deer (a very, very big deer) in the process of running across the road (hadn't made it to the actual pavement yet). There was an oncoming vehicle, so my only option was to slam on the brakes, lay on the horn, and hope for the best. Keep in mind i'm running about 50 mph, and now going down a steep hill. I hit the brakes so hard, all for tires locked up and started making that horrible screeching noise. Right as I came to a stop (now at the bottom blind spot of the hill), I heard a horrible BAM!!!! and the entire Jeep shook. All I could think about was the big ass dent I probably have in the side of my jeep. I then remembered I had glanced into the rear view mirror before going over that hill and there was a car behind me. (i'm maybe a mile from my house at the time). So I just nailed it to get up that hill before I was rear ended by the car. I got home, pulled in the garage, and got my flash light out, thankfully to find no major damage to my Jeep. I got lucky that he only hit the plastic part above my right rear tire, and left a minor scratch on the plastic. But the sound he made, you'd think a bomb went off under my tire.

Now, this was not a front end run in, like you're afraid of, but none the less, these things are pretty damn tough. It didn't hurt my alignment one bit, and he missed my tire, which meant no flat tire in the morning.

I then invested in "Deer Warners" from K-mart. The best $6 i've ever spent. It's like dog whistles for Deer. They can hear it, and you can't. They give you some 3M tape to stick it to the front of your car, but the tape is crap. I bought some Locktite Silicone and made those bad boys permanent. And the best part is they are removeable from their base, for when it comes time to wash the Jeep. You can see them in the picture below on my front bumper. I highly recommend them as the next night, I spotted 2 more on the same road just standing there, and when i got to where they could hear the whistle noise, they got out of my way, and fast! For $6, ya can't go wrong!

You must be registered for see images

duane

Reaction score
(whistle) the whistles are worthless as tested by consumer reports & several friends of mine.i too live in central pa. & the deer are a pain in the butt. i have a big heavy stainless steel crash bar on my liberty. when i smack a deer with it i will post the results-- i hope never

2003KJ

Reaction score
A couple of factors come into play here. You have to becareful when you set them up. One side is open, the other is closed, and one goes on one side and the other on the other....Can't remember which is which, says on the package. Also, They have to be a ceratin distance apart. Too far and they don't work, too close and they don't work.

They may or may not. All I was saying there was they worked for me.

Latest posts

Members online