Broken steering rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so my streak of bad luck is continuing. I was taking it easy driving down some scenic BLM roads earlier today when I hit a rut fairly hard. Nothing really crazy or huge, just a small wash out; something I have done probably 100 times without thinking otherwise. This time the steering wheel pulled hard right and wouldn't straighten out. After slowly limping home hardly in control (swaying back in forth, hard to maintain a straight line), I looked under the heep and noticed the steering rack is broken at the weld on the passenger side.

Pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

So, my question is, can this be welded back together or is the whole thing toast and in need of replacement? I haven't had any steering issues up unto this point; I don't think the steering rack is bad in any sort of way and would like to not have to replace it if possible. Also, is the mount even a part of the steering rack, or is it supposed to be affixed to the Jeep? If a replacement is a must, anyone replace theirs recently and know anywhere to get a new one at a decent price?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
JB weld,maybe. T.I.G. would be how to weld it, probably need to remove seals though,not sure how hot it would get.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Woh that *****!
Good ole Rust and impact and broken weld go figure.
Ya a few spot welds at first, then filler in.
Ya the inside rubber bushing needs to be removed first though, so you dont BBQ it.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a replacement is a must, anyone replace theirs recently and know anywhere to get a new one at a decent price?
I got a reman rack from RockAuto about six months ago, cost me just shy of $200.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas. Just gonna replace the damn thing and be done with it.

I got a reman rack from RockAuto about six months ago, cost me just shy of $200.

Wow, that sounds like a helluva good price. Gonna go check their site now. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

Red_KJ_666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 Racks in the first 200K on my Rig, I tore the belows on the first one and the passenger side seal went, and I'm pretty sure the 33's killed the second one. LMAO at the JB weld Comment (That was a joke right?) Some people seem to get lucky with the Racks and others not so much.