Break-in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long is the Break-in mileage in your opinion?...my dealer says that it's almost 1800 miles !!!:eek:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
1800 miles? I was cruising down 80mph and revving at just before 1000miles.

Pablo

Reaction score
There are two parts to motor break in. The first part is the period you need to drive very easy, as the engine is only beginning to get broke in. Then there is the period after that where things are still getting settled in, but you no longer have to take it easy. You will not get the best mileage until this period is over.

The figure you were given is the correct one for taking it easy on the CRD motor. You should be carefull with the motor during that period. After the first part is done, however, you should load it down (towing is great) and drive it hard. This does not mean keep it at redline, but do give it wide open throttle, pull loads, go through mountains, etc. This is actually very helpfull for the rest of the engine break in. This second part may last another 5,000-10,000 miles-- depending on how hard it is driven.

Last edited:

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pablo, ok so I've always done right with my motor break ins. I've always driven easy and carefull for the first 1500-1800 miles (depending on which brand and diesel or gasoline) but I've always found people at services who told me..."it's strange, looks like you've never full throttled your engine, couse it's slow in rising up rpm" :eek: ...might be I've always been too carefull ??!!!

Do you believe in things like "if you don't push it up at the right moment, your motor will be always lazy!!!" or do you thing it's a mith ?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil burners tend to have a longer break in time,some take up to 20,000 miles to fully break in.Gassers have a shorter break in period,at least drive carefully for the first 500 miles.Plus you are not only breaking in the engine,,the gears in the diffs need to be broken correctly if you plan on towing.

I can break in a gas engine in less then 20 min,need to to some special top secret stuff to it first but it can be done in that short amount of time.Did this for my 350 Rocket in my '75 Cutlass and '84 Blazer 350,works like a champ and is comparable to the 500+ mile break in's.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that most modern engines come from the factory already "broken in" and there's no reason to do this...

Pablo

Reaction score
Pre-breaking motors was not unheard of. If you check out the owners manual to late 80's early 90's Daytona 4 bangers, you will see it mention that they prebroke the motors before assembly and then shipped them with a fresh batch of oil. This was to help ensure they made it through 7/70 with less likelyhood of warranty issues due to poor breakin. Not sure if anyone still does this.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can Anyone Explain To Me Why The Differential Gears Also Need To Be Broken In? This makes no sense to me.

If I get a replacement diff like an ARB or something, do I need to break it in also?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can Anyone Explain To Me Why The Differential Gears Also Need To Be Broken In? This makes no sense to me.

If I get a replacement diff like an ARB or something, do I need to break it in also?
The diff gears need to be heat cycled to make them strong and last,bassically drive until the diffs are at operating temps,then let cool completely then repeat.Basically "heat treating" them to make them harder and getting the wear paterns set.And no you do not need to rebreakin the gears if you add a ARB,now if you regear(to 4.10's) then yes you would need to break in the new gears.Breaking in the gears is real important if you plan on towing alot and at the max rated tow lbs for the vehicle,more important on 3/4-1 ton pickups.

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's for sure. Each time you get some vital part of the engine or pf the transmission, raplaced, you have to break it in...not as long as the first one but it's still a break in.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.