brakes and headaches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went to throw some new rotors and pads on the rear today....had to beat the old rotors off.... parking brake shoes came tubbling out with them. Put all new parking brake shoes and hardware in.... rotors wouldn't fit no matter how far down I adjusted them....so I put the old shoeless ones back in. got the tires back on, now theres a scraping sound when driving. Nothings ever simple on this thing.

this was half venting half wanting suggestions for cause of the sound or similar things that have happened to you

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Parking brake setup is pain on this thing.

I had a piece come out of mine and make a hell of racket.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parking brake setup is pain on this thing.

I had a piece come out of mine and make a hell of racket.

yeah mine basically fell apart once the rotor came off. the top spring is the only hard part of getting it back together but I couldn't get the rotor back on with the new shoes even with the star adjuster as low as it can go.... and now its scraping... I suspect its the parking brake

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pb cable is disconnected and ziptied out of the way hahaha

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the PB cable sticking partially on? I had this happen on a rear drum vehicle and had to grab the end of the PB cable at the wheel and yank the hell out of it. It did work and now I just don't use the PB.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might be pads partially rubbing also... have to take it apart again, ive done a million pads and rotors too...not much to mess up. Slide pins got greased, all hardware got either replaced or cleaned and grease applied to appropriate places

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah mine basically fell apart once the rotor came off. the top spring is the only hard part of getting it back together but I couldn't get the rotor back on with the new shoes even with the star adjuster as low as it can go.... and now its scraping... I suspect its the parking brake

When I did mine the e-brake pads and parts just came falling out too...LOL They are set up like the old-back-in-the-day drum brakes and they make special tools to remove and replace the springs, etc. Makes it a lot easier. But I hadn't done drum brakes in a long time. I still had the tools though and it made it easy. My new rotors slid right on though. (disc brakes are so much easier)

(I don't know if it makes a difference but I always use my e-brake on any incline so my e-brake cable is used a lot........unless I am on an flat even surface.....old **** habit from standard shift days...LOL)

Dave

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah its not a constant dragging but mainly once I let off the brake or hit a dip/bump. so its either the parking brake needs adjusted somehow or the new pads are rubbing for some reason, or the rotor is sitting funny

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Possible that the rotor is out of round? Can you back the ebrake shoes back all the way? Did you get the adjusters in the right way?

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possible that the rotor is out of round? Can you back the ebrake shoes back all the way? Did you get the adjusters in the right way?

yep everything in the parking brake is installed correctly. Rotor is brand new also. Maybe I put a brake pad in bass ackwards or something stupid

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm thinking the cable is bound up somehow. And that's why it's rubbing...the adjuster might be all the way out but it's doing no good if the cable is still pulling on it. Maybe try working the lever a bit?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run into this same issue at work many times,granted only on GM fullsizes(Tahoe,suburban,pickups) where aftermarket P brake shoes and aftermarket rotors do not work together or are just make wrong.

Had this very issue last week on a Tahoe,they didn't listen to me and got the cheap brake parts and they would not work so they lost there a$$ when they had to pony up for the good brake parts(Napa).

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run into this same issue at work many times,granted only on GM fullsizes(Tahoe,suburban,pickups) where aftermarket P brake shoes and aftermarket rotors do not work together or are just make wrong.

Had this very issue last week on a Tahoe,they didn't listen to me and got the cheap brake parts and they would not work so they lost there a$$ when they had to pony up for the good brake parts(Napa).

I got the good brake parts. I put the old parking brake shoes back in and the rotor fit well. Something is just dragging, might be the new pads. Probably something stupid I did that I kick myself for when I tare it back apart tomorrow

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The parking brake assembly is held onto the axle by three cheap rivets. Some of the rivets probably broke off when banging off the rotor off and now the whole assembly is loose. Thats a common problem on these.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Might be able to fit the new parking brake shoes on by backing off the adjustment under the console behind the parking brake lever where the left and right parking brake cables connect.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welp turns out a corner of one of the ebrake shoes was slightly bent outwards. pounded it back in, no more scrape.

Now to finish the last day of vacation in peace ....out on the trail in the woods

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep everything in the parking brake is installed correctly. Rotor is brand new also. Maybe I put a brake pad in bass ackwards or something stupid

Could be.. but generally something is just not adjusted properly.. there should only be the very slightest rubbing on the interior parking brake drum when you rotate the hub/rotor assembly after putting it together.

Something is too tight or out of place.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be.. but generally something is just not adjusted properly.. there should only be the very slightest rubbing on the interior parking brake drum when you rotate the hub/rotor assembly after putting it together.

Something is too tight or out of place.

yep it was a corner of one of the brake shoes was slightly bent outward. Pounded it back in and all is good

Latest posts

Members online