Bought My First Jeep Today!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just thought I'd introduce myself: my name is Rachel and just today I became the very proud owner of a 2002 Jeep Liberty! It's my first Jeep and I already love it so much. I'm looking forward to working on and making her my own.

I've been lurking the forum for a little while now, researching and reading as much as I could about Jeep Liberty's. It's been extremely helpful and I hope to be able to contribute to pay it forward.

A little about my Jeep: it's a 2002, 3.7L AWD Liberty with 170k miles. Not a speck of rust anywhere except across the top of the rear window where the hinges are (which I found strange...I always thought the areas closest to the road would rust first). I have an appointment set up with a skilled welder at a body shop to completely replace the metal. There is a cigarette burn on the rear left seat that I plan to have patched. Rear left window regulator will need to be replaced as the window doesn't go down. The windshield will also need to be replaced as it is cracked. The driver seat belt doesn't stay latched, so I'm going to try to spray some WD-40 into it, along with some compressed air, as I've seen videos of that working. Can't hurt to try. Other than that, she's sound under the hood, under body is impeccable and I think I got a great deal!

Drove it home this afternoon, took about an hour. Drives beautifully but I can already tell she loves gas, but I don't mind as I don't plan to drive long distances often. I do plan to switch it to Mobil1 Full Synthetic oil within the next few weeks. Filter is brand new.

All in all, I'm in love and hope to keep her running forever! Check out the pics, let me know what you think!

Video of it can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx42W3aZXvI&feature=youtu.be

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your newly acquired Liberty and welcome to the forum. I'm a relative noob myself and having a blast with my 05 that I have barely had a month.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not too many around that color .
Looks low in the front for sure!
Welcome to the madness

Reaction score
Looks low in the front for sure!
Welcome to the madness

Yeah, I agree, it does look lower in the front. I read that a rule of thumb (or fist:happy175:) is if your fist can fit in between in the front it's good. Mine does, but I have a pretty small fist...

But no doubt. Compared to the back it is noticeably lower in this picture. Another thing to add to my fix-it list! :party52:

EDIT: It might be the angle of this photo. I have a video of it here and it looks right to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx42W3aZXvI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. I've never seen that colour before. I like it. Good to see you got the factory cross bars for the roof rails. They're not easy to find. As Tom said, welcome to the madness!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
We have one that color I see around here on occasion. Looks mighty sharp. The fun is just beginning! :favorites13:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree, it does look lower in the front. I read that a rule of thumb (or fist:happy175:) is if your fist can fit in between in the front it's good. Mine does, but I have a pretty small fist...

But no doubt. Compared to the back it is noticeably lower in this picture. Another thing to add to my fix-it list! :party52:

EDIT: It might be the angle of this photo. I have a video of it here and it looks right to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx42W3aZXvI&feature=youtu.be

Never heard the fist part, :shrug:stock is 19-19.25 from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare in front

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Aren't there different flares though?
Different flares? No only stock flares no aftermarket available
Some like the renegade ones look different but are the same size . No difference except for looks

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different flares? No only stock flares no aftermarket available
Some like the renegade ones look different but are the same size . No difference except for looks

Good to know. I thought sense the renegades look so different that they must not be the same distance from the center hub. Is this true for all years?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Good to know. I thought sense the renegades look so different that they must not be the same distance from the center hub. Is this true for all years?

Yes same for all years. Renegades look different but are the same size. Have a set of each here in the garage , both same size

Reaction score
Never heard the fist part, :shrug:stock is 19-19.25 from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare in front

Thanks Tom, that's a much more precise unit of measure :icon_lol:

I measured just now and it seems to be exactly 19" from mid wheel to the bottom of the flare. I included a picture to make sure I'm measuring it properly. It measures the exact same on both sides.

It drives real stiff and smooth. When I drove it home, there were a lot of dirt roads with big pot holes and bumps that would've shook my old Saturn to pieces. Could hardly feel them (OR hear them)!:gr_grin:

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats on the nice KJ purchase! Looks like your jeep is very clean & stock suspension has not bagged out, which is good. I think I am responsible for the fist comment.
Cause after I bought mine & put extra skids & pushbar on, it started sagging bad & I could not get two fingers between the tire & fender!
Here was the Non fist approved look, with no passengers/weight inside -eek!
50968[/ATTACH]"]

This is what a tall coffee cup approved KJ looks like... :icon_lol:
50970[/ATTACH]"]

Better than fist approved ! ha ha...22.75 inches now! :gr_grin:
It rides & handles so much better now! You can pack a load & don't even feel it!
50972[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• KJThisFeb102011.jpg
    KJThisFeb102011.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • KJCoffeeHolder.jpg
    KJCoffeeHolder.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 0
  • JeepInTheForest.jpg
    JeepInTheForest.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 0