bored at work so i made a shovel mount

Discussion in 'Fabrication' started by NJallDAY, Sep 28, 2012.

1. NJallDAY

NJallDAY Full Access Member

Long boring day today. So i decided to throw a quick shovel mount together. What do you guys think 20120928_120130.jpg

20120928_120116.jpg

Used a piece of scrap steel, 2 1 1/2 garden tool clips and some nuts and bolts. Mounted it right to my cargo deck

2. sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet Full Access Member

Nice. I might do the same thing- I've been thinking about building a cargo shelf like the one you have.

You get to do that at work? Must be nice...

3. NJallDAY

haha yea im a maintenance tech for a hospital system here in jersey and i keep my building well maintained so i didnt have a whole lot going on. the mount only took 20 min to throw together and i have tons of material at my disposal. i built my cross bars, cargo deck and the shovel mount all at work and all with material i had laying around. the cargo deck is super easy to make, it took me about 30 to 40 min to throw it together. only i used 1/4 inch ply instead of 3/4 with two 1/2 inch white oak supports running the width to make it a bit more rigid. i weigh 200lbs and can sit on it with little to no flex

4. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

What holds it into the clips ?
    Looks like some good bouncing and it will come out of those clips

5. NJallDAY

The clips have springs to create tension, and have concave that follows the diameter of the shovel pretty well. It takes a good bit of force to pull it out so im not to worried about it coming off. I suppose a small strap would settle any concerns about it flying around while running some rough terrain.