Bolts from hell

Discussion in 'Jeep News' started by 07liberty3.7l, Oct 31, 2016.

1. 07liberty3.7l

07liberty3.7l New Member

Hi guys, new to this site but I always read the recommendations and comments you give and so far have been very helpful so this time I'm REALLY need your help!!!!
    You know the 3 bolts that hold together the pulley and the power steering reservoir? Well, this is the 3rd time in less than 4 months that they break... ALL OF THEM!! Wth!!! Now I have the mechanic saying that I might have to change the head because might be damaged??? How is this possible?? Has this happened to any of you? And if so, what would you recommend doing? Thanks in advance

2. renegade 04

renegade 04 Full Access Member

It sounds like they were over torqued for sure and when you over torque a bolt, the bolt stretches becoming weaker. Its appears your mechanic may not really know what he/she is doing and needs to torque the bolts to spec that is outlined in the factory service manual. If it appear to be the mechanics fault, then the shop should pay for the repair and considering this is the third time, I think the mechanic is at fault 100%.

3. JasonJ

JasonJ Full Access Member

Wow... never heard of this being an issue for this vehicle. Renegade 04 has it right about what happens to overtorqued bolts. They have torque specs for a reason; I suspect whomever has been installing these bolts, does not care about that reason.