Blinker/Brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anna Nicole

Reaction score
When I put my blinker on (left only) AND hit my brakes, the blinker will start to speed up. Take foot off the brake = blinker goes normal speed.

If I don't have my blinker on when I hit my brakes, I notice the little green arrow will glow faintly - then turn off when I take my foot off the brakes.

Any electrical people that can help?

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s more than likely a short somewhere. I’d start behind the left tail light. Look for bad, corroded, broken connections and wires.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get someone to stand behind your Jeep while you do your tests.

They need to check if the third brake light is working properly, if the left brake light is working normally or also flashes etc.

Check the bulbs are in tight and inspect the wiring in that rear left area.

Could be wires making bad contact, wires shorting to each other or to chassis or could be a bad grounding.

What year/model is your Jeep?

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to aim towards bad grounding. somehow brake power is sinking through the blinker wire. this is demonstrated by the speed differential in blinks when you press the brake pedal (energizing the brake lights.) it's stuffing more power through the flasher relay, making it go quicker.

First thing I'd ask is, what have you touched lately, and in the past? go check the brake light housings, all the wiring for chaffed or rubbed through wires, and the ground wire termination points. then go look at the ground points for the dash itself and make sure they're tight and CLEAN.

edited. dropped a thought.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I've experienced something similar to this before, turned out to be corrosion in one of the left front turn signal bulb/socket.
Used electrical contact cleaner and fine emery cloth, bent bulb contact slightly outwards and done, no more fast blinky going on.
Moisture was getting in from a poor seal from bulb housing, silicone fixed that.