Binding 4WD drivetrain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krusty

Reaction score
Hi gang,

2005 KJ and just about to go off warrenty!

I can engage 4WD without issue, and disengage on slippery surfaces just fine. But when I go from slippery to pavement, and drive a few feet, then disengage 4WD, though the 4WD light goes off, you can tell the front axle is still engaged. I need to stop, back up and then continue for it to disengage the front axle. If I drive in 4WD on pavement at high speed you can feel and hear the front end binding up. Been to the dealership 3 times now and 2 test drives they tell me they feel it not disengaging but that nothing is wrong.

Being an avid jeeper, the only thing that I can see to bind is incorrect tire sizes between front and rear. Yes they are the same size, though different models from goodyear. I will get the front ones replaced ASAP as this is driving me nuts, any other thoughts?

Is there a vaccum mechanism on the front axle to engage the axle shaft(s) like on an XJ?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi gang,

2005 KJ and just about to go off warrenty!

I can engage 4WD without issue, and disengage on slippery surfaces just fine. But when I go from slippery to pavement, and drive a few feet, then disengage 4WD, though the 4WD light goes off, you can tell the front axle is still engaged. I need to stop, back up and then continue for it to disengage the front axle. If I drive in 4WD on pavement at high speed you can feel and hear the front end binding up. Been to the dealership 3 times now and 2 test drives they tell me they feel it not disengaging but that nothing is wrong.

Being an avid jeeper, the only thing that I can see to bind is incorrect tire sizes between front and rear. Yes they are the same size, though different models from goodyear. I will get the front ones replaced ASAP as this is driving me nuts, any other thoughts?

Is there a vaccum mechanism on the front axle to engage the axle shaft(s) like on an XJ?
Do you have the command trac(2wd,n,4hi,and 4low) or the select trac(2wd,n,4fulltime,4parttime,and 4low)?

If you have the command trac you can not drive on dry,hard surfaces without it binding,very short distances going straight is okay, since the F/R driveshafts are locked and turning the same speed.

If you have the select trac you can use fulltime 4wd on any surface at anytime,4wd parttime can not be used on dry,hard surfaces.The select trac has a center diff and in fulltime 4wd it allows the F/R driveshafts to turn at different speeds,thus no binding.

No vaccum discountects like the XJ,the front diff is always "locked" in a KJ and no way to "unlock" it.So if you have the command trac and are driving on dry,hard surfaces it is normal to have binding,if you have the selectrac and are using fulltime 4wd and still have binding issues then there is a problem.

krusty

Reaction score
I have the part time transfer case.....though I do not expect to drive far distances on dry pavement, this is the third canuckistan winter I have had the jeep and the first winter this has happened.

Though if the front axle is always 'engaged' and the only disconnect is in the xfer case, then maybe new front tires will cure it, same as what is on the back.

What boggles my mind is the lack of competence at the dealership.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the part time transfer case.....though I do not expect to drive far distances on dry pavement, this is the third canuckistan winter I have had the jeep and the first winter this has happened.

Though if the front axle is always 'engaged' and the only disconnect is in the xfer case, then maybe new front tires will cure it, same as what is on the back.

What boggles my mind is the lack of competence at the dealership.
If your running 2 different style tires(2 front and 2 different on the back) that is your problem.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are shifting it into 2wd then it is shifting into 2wd. When you shift the part time case it actually shifts it into 2wd.

If you have different kinds of tires like tjkj said, that is probably your trouble.

Last edited:

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had similar problems in the past. Check the air pressure in both front tires. They must be very close, within 2-3 psi of each other. If they are more than that the transfer case will bind up, same as if the tire sizes were different.

I would shift from 4WD-Full through 4WD-PT and down into 2WD, but the transfer case would hang in 4WD-PT and not release at all for a day or two. As long as I check my air pressure and adjust it every time I tank up, I don't have this problem.

Turns out I am losing 5 psi a week, there is a lot of corrosion on my alloy wheels and the tire shop can't clean them up well enough to get a good clean seat. So I will be changing them out sooner or later.

Good Luck,
Andy

2002 KJ Ltd - completely stock