Bigger Brake Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wondering (after finding nothing in a search), are there any factory ways to upgrade the Liberty's brake size? For example, my Road Runner was upgradable with the stock spindles, bigger rotors and certain caliper brackets and calipers (all factory parts). My Ram will be getting SRT10 brakes soon once I get a decent set of knuckles (15" rotors!). Has anyone anywhere even looked into a bigger size upgrade?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Far as I know there is nothing.

Never had a problem locking my tires up on dry pavement so Im not sure I would want bigger brakes. Guess if you ride the brakes down big hills and over heat them you could use bigger rotors.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we live in NY for starters (really good brakes will save your life here) and sometimes tow with it, so an ass-kicker set of brakes would be great. I was just wondering.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres a thread over at lost. Someone thinks the brakes on a nitro are bigger but no one has confirmed it. It uses the same axle so if they are bigger they may bolt up. Would need to try it to see though.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I see, just raises more questions lol.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uses a different knuckle though then a KJ,may work for a KK but may not(most likely) work on a KJ.
The KK & KA are absolutely identical underneath (I looked at both parts mans). I wish I could put my stock Ram brakes on the Jeep when I put my SRT brakes on.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far they are only talking about the rear brakes which are on a 8.25 axle. Could all still be different though.
If there only talking about the rear you can fit any brake size you want,just depends on your wallet and fabrication skills.The front is another story.

If you want better brakes there is no need to try and fit larger rotors just call Van in the link below and he will set you up with a killer system that maximizes your OEM brakes,and yes they can make a kit for you(talked with him once about it).I may be heading that way myself but as of right now my OEM master cylinder is stopping my KJ just fine.Oh and it's not going to be cheap,but you really shouldn't put a price on something that will save your life among others.

http://www.vancopbs.com/

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
If you were to upgrade the brakes, you just don't want bigger rotors. You need the pad to cover them, this means upgrading brackets, calipers, and the rest of it. If it is heat you are worried about, then just buy slotted rotors. They don't need to be dimpled or cross-drilled unless you want optimal braking, with fast wearing pads. Slotted rotors will do nicely with dissipating heat for your first upgrade. Try that out first before basically overhauling the brakes.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive read a lot about rotors and as far as Im concerned slotted rotors are worse at dealing with heat(less material). They are only needed for high speed braking when gasses need to be expelled which is something Ill never need.

And with bigger rotors you must change out the calipers. They wouldnt fit if you didnt.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive read a lot about rotors and as far as Im concerned slotted rotors are worse at dealing with heat(less material). They are only needed for high speed braking when gasses need to be expelled which is something Ill never need.

And with bigger rotors you must change out the calipers. They wouldnt fit if you didnt.
Actually slotted rotors are better,it's those cross drilled rotors that you need to stay away from.Slotted rotors keeps the pads from glazing better then standard rotors.