Big feet. When braking, my foot hits the gas. Any else have this problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rock_minute

Reaction score
05 Jeep Liberty. New to me.

It feels like ever since I got this Jeep it's been one thing after another lol.

I had to brake hard the other day. And my Jeep kept going, despite me pressing the brake pedal to the floor. So I hard to swerve to avoid the car that stopped for a cat.

When trying to figure out this problem, I realized my foot was hitting the brake, sure, but because I have such big ****** feet, it also hit the gas as well. I believe this is a function of two things, at least for me. 1, the gas pedal is too close to the brake, and 2., the metal frame below the console area, juts out into the driver (and passenger) side too much, tucking the gas pedal into a corner. As such, I have to place both my feet and my knee in a weird angle just to reach that pedal.

Any thoughts? I'm super tall, have the seat all the way back. Maybe need to install a mod to sit back further? Can I move the brake and / or the accelerator away from each other at least half an inch? Even if that means getting a tool and shaving down the length of both the pedals? Someone remove that frame below the console that rounds into the driver floorboard?

It's at a point now where I don't feel super safe going down hills or hitting the highway. On the streets / roads, where I can be very careful of how I hit the brake, it works. But when go in the "OMGWTF" moment going rather fast and just needed to hit the brake and pivot my foot to do so, it slips slightly onto the gas. Which is an issue.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Maybe shift into neutral as you brake to a stop. I do that at intersections with polished ice because automatic transmissions "push" a little, fighting the brakes a bit. It becomes habit pretty quickly.

The KJ does have a small footwell. I've driven with huge size 10 Sorel snowboots before without any problem.

rock_minute

Reaction score
Maybe it's my height then, and the way my knee is angled to get there. Hmmmm.

But that's a good idea though. I'm coming from driving a manual transmission anyways. So it would feel familiar.

rock_minute

Reaction score
There are KJ Big Boy seat Bracket extensions possibly still available. This would really help you.
See post 15: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/leg-room.34836/
Thanks. I think this is a great idea.

Also, in that thread, one of the owners mentioned tearing out the carpet and removing some foam. I'm assuming that area right below the console that restricts some of the space in the footwell isn't foam, so I can't tear that out. Can I?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I used to have similar issues in my VWs. I remedied this by installing aftermarket pedal pads. Went with the old school “barefoot” style pedals as they can be had in a variety of sizes. Stupid looking to my eyes, but changed the spacing enough I wasn’t double pumping with my Gollum feet.

A quick gander online shows many options for us KJ folks.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Also. Does a seat extender rise the seat any? That's bad for me. I'm SUPER tall, and have a hard time seeing street lights when I'm close to them waiting to turn green. Have to lean over.
Here is the link to the brackets home made style. https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/how-to-front-seat-extension-brackets.34920/
Keep in mind if you cut the padded carpet out around the mounting points, that could lower it enough to make a difference.
Kj windshield is small in size going back with the seat, will still cause visibility problems for the traffic light my guess.

Glenn Dickson

Reaction score

I had to brake hard the other day. And my Jeep kept going, despite me pressing the brake pedal to the floor. So I hard to swerve to avoid the car that stopped for a cat.

When trying to figure out this problem, I realized my foot was hitting the brake, sure, but because I have such big ****** feet, it also hit the gas as well. I believe this is a function of two things, at least for me. 1, the gas pedal is too close to the brake, and 2., the metal frame below the console area, juts out into the driver (and passenger) side too much, tucking the gas pedal into a corner. As such, I have to place both my feet and my knee in a weird angle just to reach that pedal.

Any thoughts? I'm super tall, have the seat all the way back. Maybe need to install a mod to sit back further? Can I move the brake and / or the accelerator away from each other at least half an inch? Even if that means getting a tool and shaving down the length of both the pedals? Someone remove that frame below the console that rounds into the driver floorboard?

It's at a point now where I don't feel super safe going down hills or hitting the highway. On the streets / roads, where I can be very careful of how I hit the brake, it works. But when go in the "OMGWTF" moment going rather fast and just needed to hit the brake and pivot my foot to do so, it slips slightly onto the gas. Which is an issue.
I have an 06 Liberty and an 04 Grand Cherokee. I have the same problem although it is more of a problem in the Liberty. I am 6'4" and size 13 feet. Then being in Canada, try it with winter footwear!

timaconmy

Reaction score
I've occasionally had the same issue with my 2007 Liberty and I’m 5’9” with size 10 shoes. I think the brake pedal moves too low before the brakes even start to activate.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My problem arrives when I hit the brake pedal with my left foot because I forgot I'm not in my truck, which is a manual

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue being a big guy and wearing my turnout gear, the micky mouse boots make it difficult to deal with, so I did a bit of surgery under the dash. Relocated the throttle pedal an inch and used a salvage pedal that I cut and added a block into to move it an inch to the left. Gave a lot more room to avoid problems. Also Cut the seat brackets and welded them so that the seat went 3" farther back from stock, still had enough movement forward so a munchkin could drive if they wished.

my80chevette

Reaction score

I'm not a really big guy but had a similar problem in my 1992 Ford Ranger. Ended up going to the junkyard and pulled an entire pedal assembly from a ranger there. Took it home a cut the right side of the brake pedal down and made an extension to the left. Got my foot away from the gas and much easier to maneuver my clod hoppers around in the truck. It's kinda extreme but I was seriously irritated by it at the time. By the way the only reason I didn't use my original set of pedals was fear needing to go back to originals.

tomstromie

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 2003 Liberty and my feet are not that big. The brake pedal seemed awfully close to the gas pedal and they were about the same height. I had it 9 years and had to train myself to move my foot more to the left when braking.

Dave_too

Reaction score
I typically brake with my left and use my right on the gas. I find it makes for a smoother stop. Don't know if it would help here or if a stick would make this impractical.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I typically brake with my left and use my right on the gas. I find it makes for a smoother stop. Don't know if it would help here or if a stick would make this impractical.
Not saying you do this, but ive known others who drive this way, and then end up following them somewhere only to find they always have their brakes on. There's only one i know that didn’t, but he was a drag racer.

Dave_too

Reaction score
Understood. I took flight lessons and the instructors are intolerant of students who apply throttle and brake at the same time. That introduced some discipline.

Liberty For All

Reaction score

Yes, owned my 2005 since new and have learned how to place my feet to avoid the crowded peddles. I have a clutch too. I am extra careful if I am wearing boots.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One complaint Ive always had is how much the trans tunnel protrudes into the foot area... Never had an issue hitting the gas and brake though, and my brake pedal doesnt go to the floor.

Latest posts

Members online