Better ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK here's the deal. I want to eventually get some BFG A/Ts for my Jeep and I've been thinking about OME struts/shocks as well to improve the ride and get a small lift. Right now the ride is pretty bouncy on a completely stock suspension. Improving the ride is more important, but I would like a certain degree of ruggedness for the moderate amount of non-pavement driving that I do.

Is it worth it to upgrade my suspension? If so, what's the best lift/suspension kit for me? Bear in mind my KJ is a daily driver as well.

wildrussian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the OME lift but I have rustys coil lift and my jeep rides smoother but the suspension is stiffer. So far I like the way it rides and handles.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
when looking at any lift you want to upgrade and make it better, OMEs are way better than stock evn when running the Heavy Dutys of course I have that ARB hanging out there but go the OME route and you will not be sorry

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard that. I'm thinking about OME light duty all around since I'm pretty much stock everything right now. I'm mainly wanting to reduce the "springiness" in the back end since it'll just bounce like crazy over the slightest obstacle.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard that. I'm thinking about OME light duty all around since I'm pretty much stock everything right now. I'm mainly wanting to reduce the "springiness" in the back end since it'll just bounce like crazy over the slightest obstacle.

Go with the Med duty springs
that is what we run on the wifes '03 KJ and it rides GREAT
OME springs front and rear ($200 from rustys)
OME shocks ($80 from rustys)
Rancho struts ($170 from all J's)
all better or best quality and less money than the full rustys lift wich the shocks will not fit

the "springiness" or bounce is from bad shocks and struts not the springs
the springs will sag but the shocks and struts controll the rebound

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
yes it seems like for what you want it for then go with mediums for sure, at least you are heading in the right direction with the OMEs!

Last edited:

welby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rusty's with OME struts and shocks is a very well mannered ride and is smooth as can be. I've also run it on fire roads and trail loops with 1'-2' whoops at speeds that I probably shouldn't talk about and it ate up everything I threw at it. Never had any bottoming problems, no shock fade and no noticeable stack-up.

There's plenty of good spring options, but OME is the way to go for dampers.