Best product to use to clean the engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02LibertyLimitedChick said:
Opinions? Thanks! I want to purchase prosuct to do this, but I want opinions first.....thanks!

i use meguiars super degreaser diluted 4:1 sprayed on everything, then pressure washed off, then sprayed with meguiars hyper dressing diluted 3:1 and then just let it dry.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never felt confident enough to do any cleaning there myself, but won't mind hearing any opinions or tipsters..

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple Green, or the generic degreaser at the car wash. I'll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow of mine after 2 1/2 years of use with lots of off-road.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Simple Green and it worked pretty good.

Sprayed it on (a lot) before starting the high pressure wash, let it soak while I cleaned the rest of the KJ and then used the low setting (grip lever not pulled) to rinse off. Looked really good once it dried.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Are you all washing it with the engine warmed up or cold?

I've always heard it's better to do it cold, and I just cleaned mine Friday....I usually try to wash it once a month or so.

I spray simple green on everything, let it soak in for a couple of minutes, then with a low to low-moderate stream of water, wash it off. It's not like you're trying to put out a fire (atleast I hope not), too much pressure will force water into places you don't want it (sensors, spark plugs, etc etc)

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you let your engine cool before driving through a large massive mud puddle?

Bodies of water are really cold (a LOT colder than the water at a car wash) up here in the Rockies and driving through them is no problem as it splashes all over the hot engine.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I use the car wash then it's with the engine warm. I just take the wand, set the knob to 'degreaser' and wash the engine compartment without pulling the trigger, just a nice even flow of water/soap. Then I let it sit while I turn the selector to 'rinse' and hit a few loose items on the grille before spraying it off. In fact, I need to go clean mine today after all the rain we had on Thursday.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.