Best Highway Tire For Two Trackin? Wrangler SR-A's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparky27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the driving would be on the highway, but I would like to know if there are any highway tires that handle some off road conditions decently enough. I was actually leaning towards Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's. I had some on my Liberty before I switched to a meatier tire. Those surprisingly did okay in some small mud holes (less than 2 feet deep watery mud) and sand.

I know many people hate the Wrangler SR-A's. They seem to be one of the more aggressively treaded highway tires. If anybody has experience with highway tires in (light) off road applications and you have some input on the matter then please let me know what your experiences are/were. These tires will be for the wife's Patriot.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No no no to the SR-As. Not safe in the rain at all. I spun out a few times using them. Wayyyy to easy to lose grip around a corner.

If I were you, I'd get a less aggressive A/T tire instead of a highway tire.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SR-A's are absolute garbage. They came on my '13 Wrangler. They broke loose and spun at 55-60 mph passing a car when road was wet. Would understeer on wet also. They came on my wife's '14 Titan she had. Would lose traction just thinking of pressing the gas.

I would never spend any money on them and would turn them down even if new and offered for free. but, to each their own. You said you've had them before so if those are what you want...go for it.

I have the Falken Wild Peak AT3W's and have no complaints. Do good all around. Whether dry, wet, snow, ice, highway, city, whatever. And they didn't break the bank either.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cooper AT3s on both of mine for the same reasons. Need on road and off road mix plus snow

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd reccomend the Falken Wild Peak AT3W's also. I've driven on them in a friend's first gen Tundra. The traction was great on road in the wet and did really well on the muddy back roads going to the deer blind. The road noise was a lot less than the wrangler duratracs I have my on my KJ right now.

sparky27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha nobody has recommended an actual all season or highway tire. It's all A/T suggestions so far. Which should tell me that I need to look at A/T tires instead. The unfortunate fact is that the tire size I will be looking for has very few A/T tires and what few A/T options available are closer to $200 a pop vs like $100-125. It'[s for my wife's Jeep and it will be 98% highway and 2% two tracks, but nothing extreme.

I appreciate everyone's input because you all speak from experience. Is there such a thing as a H/T or all season that performs moderately off road? How about M+S tires? They state they are made for mud and snow...would a set of m+s tires be okay two tracking?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Haha nobody has recommended an actual all season or highway tire. It's all A/T suggestions so far. Which should tell me that I need to look at A/T tires instead. The unfortunate fact is that the tire size I will be looking for has very few A/T tires and what few A/T options available are closer to $200 a pop vs like $100-125. It'[s for my wife's Jeep and it will be 98% highway and 2% two tracks, but nothing extreme.

I appreciate everyone's input because you all speak from experience. Is there such a thing as a H/T or all season that performs moderately off road? How about M+S tires? They state they are made for mud and snow...would a set of m+s tires be okay two tracking?

What size are you looking at ?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha nobody has recommended an actual all season or highway tire.

I'll throw out a tamer tire. I've been impressed with the Continental Cross Contacts that I have. They are an SUV/Crossover all season style so not quite as bland as a pure highway tire. They look pretty good to me. This is my daily driver and put about 12k on these tires so far. I don't really do any off road conditions though but I've had them in some dirt and muddy dirt roads with no problems. I managed through some pretty good snow and slush too but I usually throw mine into FT 4wd in these situations. They've been great in the rain. I hit a few surprise deep puddles recently at speed and not even a shimmy. I actually went to get some Cooper HTs but they only had three so gave me these for a little less than the Coopers would cost. I've had a variety of ATs over the years, some I liked and some I didn't, but for what you are looking for maybe these would work.