Best Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jeepkj02, Apr 6, 2008.

1. jeepkj02

jeepkj02 Full Access Member

What is the best digital camera for $250 and under. I'm not photo geek, what should I be looking for? What is the best brand? Thanks.

2. hyde

hyde Moderator KJ Supporting Member

There is no best brand, as always. I like Sony and Canon. Many people consider Canons to be the best, and unless you need something fancy, you can get a decent camera for $200.

I was just doing a huge comparison for cameras and I found this incredible deal at PC Richard and Son (a place I loath to go for years)

Sony DSC-W200, 3x Optical Zoom, 12.1 Megapixel, 2.5 LCD for $250.
    Great price, since this goes for $300 everywhere,
    the lower models, W170 (10mp, 5x) and W150 (8.1 mp, 5x) for $250 everywhere, W200 makes it a good deal, unless you want to keep your imagesize smaller, but keep bigger zoom, go with w170, which is what I was thinking, as I might run out of space soon.

If you consider something decent/mediocre, There is S730, pretty low end, but 7.2mp, 3x zoom, it goes for $120 everywhere.

When buying camera, consider the battery options, see if it comes with charger and battery, check if it can ZOOM while recording VIDEO (big plus for me).

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N1WC_00L0b0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N1WC_00L0b0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    The new sales gimmick with SONY is SmileShutter... :) It takes the picture when everyone on the frame is smiling.. SO if there is a frowning face among them it will not take the shot, once you set it.

Good Luck!

3. JeepJeepster

JeepJeepster Full Access Member

^thats pretty sweet hyedipin. We got my mom a 12.1pix Sony CyberShot this past christmas and I love it. She still manages to take blurry pictures though! haha, Ive come to the conclusion that she just doesnt have a steady hand at all.

4. jeepkj02

Anything will be better than my POS camera i have now. (Kodak cx7330 3.1mp).

5. jeepkj02

6. hyde

I would go with Sony H3 instead, it is smaller, and has better lens.
    Sorry, I am not familiar with Kodak cameras.

Or, just go with point and shoot. I have Sony H5, it is incredibly useful cam at 12x with 7.2 Mp and has a huge lens, but I found myself it is a hassle to carry to parties, etc.. If you need a cam for daily use, don't get one of these ultra zoom types.

7. VTNomad

VTNomad Full Access Member

Cameras

Don't worry about megapixels. Focus on optical zoom, then digital zoom, then megapixels. Sony's Zeiss lenes tend to be better than the competition, and their color processing is top notch as well.

I've order my last couple of cameras from http://www.butterflyphoto.com/ and saved a bunch compared to retailers like Best Buy.

Here's the one I'd go with:
    http://www.butterflyphoto.com/product.html?postId=1102251

If you want something more compact:
    http://www.butterflyphoto.com/product.html?postId=1102256

8. -=JoN=-

-=JoN=- Member

lol...
    my gear bag now..weighs in at about 25 or so lbs
    it can easily go to 30.....

and i dont see it going down any time soon (weight wise)

as for a PS camera....
    Pentax...:D

(2 dslr bodies, 3 lenses and a flash)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  9. LibertyOrDeath

LibertyOrDeath Full Access Member

My personal preference is Samsung.

10. hyde

It evens itself
    High Megapixel = Low Zoom
    High Zoom = Low Megapixel

it all comes down to what is your priority. If you are just taking pictures of close objects, portraits, etc.. High megapixel, compact is the way to go.

11. -=JoN=-

-=JoN=- Member

for everyday use, i'd go for the low zoom high MP/Res

the higher zoom on p/s, is not really all that useful. and the times you'll actually use it, will be once in a blue moon...

12. hyde

Yeah, I agree. Actually I put that wrong, instead of equals those are supposed to be +. That said, with those two combos, they are almost equal.

high mp+low zoom
    =
    low mp+high zoom

yeah, there are still pretty cool point and shoots with 5x zoom, but when you compare it to 35mm equivelent, their wide end is not that wide at all to begin with. I would rather have my point and shoot with better coverage at wide then with bigger zoom at telephoto. I think lumix and pantex does pretty good with natural wide angle lens.

13. KeswickDave

KeswickDave Gold Moderator KJ Supporting Member

I have a Nikon D70 DSLR, but wanted something for my fiance and times when I didn't want to carry the big one.

Just bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 for $150 CDN - 7.1 MP, 6X optical zoom. Nice set of features and easy to use.

For me, the zoom was priority - 7.1 MP is plenty for day to day snapshots, and probably would enlarge OK up to about 11x17 if the picture is sharp.

This one has 6x optical zoom (my feeling with digital zoom is it is mostly useless, ignore it and turn it off as soon as I get the camera).

This is equivalent to 37mm to 222mm on a 35mm film camera and more than you'd usually get in this price range and in this size camera - it's pretty compact.

I just bought it today in fact, so i have yet to see how good the pictures will be but will report back when I've done some shooting with it!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0701/07013102panasoniclz6lz7.asp

Dave

14. hyde

Although I do not highly recommend it, here is somewhat an OK deal if you think about it.

[​IMG]
    http://www.woot.com/ (Only today)

I don't go for refurbished models unless it will be gift or damn-cheap price.

Woot lists stuff everyday until they are sold out or until 24 hours mark. This 12mp for $99 may be an OK deal

15. kj924

kj924 Administrator

I would recommend any of the Kodak Z series cameras. I have one at work, and for a point and shoot camera it is great. It has 10x optical zoom.
    I think mine is the z710???

Oh yeah, it is nice and big so you get a good grip on it. Thats my 2 cents worth.

16. jeepkj02

So what camera did you use to take that picture!!! LOL! :D

17. jeepkj02

18. hyde

That one has no viewfinder, although it could be better than Sony's entry level one. The captured video is in Quicktime format.. ouch.

19. jeepkj02

Don't really use the viewfinder much, very rarely. Why is QuickTime bad? Memory hog? What's better?

20. hyde

I always hated the way QT played the video. It is also not compatible with many personal media players. The video quality is much better than others, sure, but results in higher file size. If you don't care about video that much, it is your call with that cam. Looks like egg is out of them.