bearing whine / tire whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am getting this high-pitched whine coming from the rear of my Jeep. It is a very high-pitched wine. Sounds alot like a jet engine/turbine type of whine. You can hear it whirl down as you come to a stop.

Taken it to the dealer 3 times. First the adjusted the ring and pinion gear. They said backlash was out of spec. That actually made the sound louder because a wear pattern had already developed.

Took it in again and they replaced the ring and pinion along with the carrier and pinion bearing. They said the noise was all gone. Got it back was the same as when I first took it in.

I did some more listening it seemed to be coming from the drive rear wheel area. I'm starting to think it is a wheel bearing. The brakes are not rubbing slightly, I've checked that.

Took in in the 3rd time (still at the shop now). This time I had the shop foreman ride with me and he heard the noise too. The dealer just called and said they found the problem. It is tire noise, so they rotated the tires and said it seems to have gone away.

I've know tires can make alot of noise, but I've never really heard anyone describe it as a high-pitch turbine type of whine. I'm just curious if he is just shooting in the dark and just trying to get rid of me now. Can tires really make a high-pitch turbine type whine?

Well I'm going to pick it up later this afternoon and see if it is still there. I really hope it was something that simple, but I doubt it. I've rotated the tires since I first heard this noise and it didn't do a darn thing. Just I will try another dealer now. I'll post an update when I get more info.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TRAILN said:
Does the noise go away when you let off the gas? kopkrab.gif

Nope and never did. Just a very constant high-pitch whine. Just like a turbine. A few people even says it sounds like a light high-speed grinder. Definitely a whirling type sound like in a jet engine. You can hear it wind down when you come to a stop.

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually (but not always) rear end noise changes then coasting and accelerating. If you can get in on a hoist, then run it in drive and listen where its coming from using a mechanic stethoscope.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had that whine for the last 7 months, I guess you could turn up thew radio if it bothers you :-s

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine makes some whining noises, or least it used to, but it wasn't that bad. The noise from the ATs I put on drown out whatever was there. But it wasn't annoying that much to begin with... :-k

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey yoda that was my next suggestion, some agressive AT's or MT's \:D/

wont here anything then apart from a loud Humming

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the sound dosen't really bother me too much. Sounds like I have a turbo. But I just hope it is not a bearing or something that will break.

Called the dealer again and he told me it was simply tires noise. I could bring it in again, but he didn't think he would find anything different.