Be Warned - Very Poor Customer Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys. Just wanted to pass you off a word of warning. I, unfortunately, feel that RockAuto's customer service has been less than adequate.

I ordered a replacement mirror glass with plastic backing off of RockAuto. I ordered the passenger side, power, fold-away mirror, according to their site. This description matches the description of my Jeep. (This is the SAME description I used at another parts source to get the CORRECT part)

You must be registered for see images attach

Unfortunately, it ended up being the incorrect part for my vehicle. See differences in the picture. Stock (driver's side, albeit) is at the top of the picture.

RockAuto was going to let me return the mirror, but they will not front the money for shipping. Instead, they continuously point their finger at me, saying I ordered the incorrect part.

Upon doing more research, I found that sales code "GT9," which is the sales code they have their part listed under, is a power, HEATED, MEMORY mirror (according to the factory service manual). The description of their part does not match this. However they still argue with me telling me that I need to find the correct sales code for my vehicle by providing my VIN to the dealership and getting it through them. Unfortunately, this isn't exactly possible for me to do working the 8-6 job that I work. The parts department is closed all hours that I don't work. I will more than likely have to attempt to call on a Saturday.

I must say. I have never once asked for any sort of special service/offer/extra for getting the incorrect service/item that I paid for in ANY case. This issue with RockAuto is not an exception. I've simply asked for shipping costs for a mistake that I feel is theirs. After inquiring on their FaceBook page about this issue, they deleted my post (along with many posts from other people) without so much as a response - very unprofessional.

Of course, some may think I am wrong and I welcome that. However in my opinion if the issue is at least arguably the fault of the vendor, the vendor should attempt to clean up the damage. I've been in customer service all my life, and that has always been the case.

Now, unfortunately, they've lost what used to be a dedicated customer and MUCH more money than what shipping would have costed them. Shop at your own risk at RockAuto, folks.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rockauto doesn't even know what's in their parts and can't verify anything.
I only buy things from them if I can verify it myself, otherwise you're SOL.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rockauto doesn't even know what's in their parts and can't verify anything.
I only buy things from them if I can verify it myself, otherwise you're SOL.

This seems to be the case. Absolutely unfortunate. Oh well. :shrug:

You'd think they would pay the return shipping to

1) Not lose future revenue and

2) Not waste customer service labor time, which in the end costs them money.

As much as I believe I'm in the right, whether I was or not their business model has costed them more than just shipping.

RockAuto

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Hi @dude1116,

I'm sorry to hear we have lost you as a customer. It is not our intention to be difficult in this situation. RockAuto is willing to consider covering shipping, but the information you have provided us so far is not sufficient to determine that you did not order the wrong part. I understand that calling the dealer to get the sales code is an extra step and may be difficult with your work schedule, but you did not check the sales code prior to ordering so you need to do so now. Hopefully you can do this on Saturday as you mentioned. If so, RockAuto is also open 7-6pm that day and we'll be available to finalize the situation given what you find out.

Regards,

RockAuto

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the time you guys go 'round and 'round about this, RockAuto could have simply accepted that the customer received the incorrect item, paid to take it back, and sent out the correct part...problem solved!...instead, RockAuto seems to believe that all the extra time for their rep to be on the phone with an upset customer and the potential negative reaction of POTENTIAL customers who are following this is SOMEHOW going to save them money over just taking care of the problem in the first place...

Good luck with that attitude, RockAuto!

I won't be ordering anything further from you....

RockAuto

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Hi @twowings,

I understand what you're saying, but since the carriers don't work for free, RockAuto does not cover shipping unless we make a mistake. It's not conclusive yet if we made a mistake or not. To determine that, we need the customer to confirm the fitment information that was listed in our catalog when he placed the order. We are willing to be as flexible as we can in this situation, but if the customer made a mistake it's not fair to our other customers if we cover his shipping and not theirs.

Regards,

RockAuto

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
having been in various businesses dealing with customers for years, It seems like what he ordered was what he needed. The item he got was not the same though.
I realize that some customers will try and pull the wool over a company in some cases just to get money back but from what I have read and seen this is not the case here
Hopefully the both of you can come to an agreement and put this all behind everyone.
But like someone mentioned, 99% of the time I buy and/or order local so there is no issues

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
having been in various businesses dealing with customers for years, It seems like what he ordered was what he needed. The item he got was not the same though.
I realize that some customers will try and pull the wool over a company in some cases just to get money back but from what I have read and seen this is not the case here
Hopefully the both of you can come to an agreement and put this all behind everyone.
But like someone mentioned, 99% of the time I buy and/or order local so there is no issues

I've been in customer service far too long to want to ever "pull the wool over." It just never makes sense.

A lot of this is misunderstanding, I think. I truly don't believe there is a sales code for my model mirror. I have a power adjusting, folding mirror. No heat. See the manual pages for this:

I also believe the DORMAN listing is wrong:

Dorman Products - 56247

They list application: 2004 Jeep Liberty Right Power; Fold Away; Sales Code GT9

Oddly enough, they specify 2 sales codes but only one OE part number, 05083982AA, which happens to ONLY be sales code GTP (manual mirrors).

My suspicions with this mirror listing being incorrect on Dorman's site are confirmed with the reviews from the Amazon listing (albeit the Amazon listing only notes non-heated mirror glass and the OE part number):

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-56247-Passenger-Non-Heated-Plastic/dp/B006LJA8CE

All reviews state that the mirror did not fit their application.

I BELIEVE this mirror is for a manual mirror. Sales code GT9 refers to Power, Heated, Memory Mirrors. The mirror that i received does not have any electrical connectors on it for heat.

So a few things:

1) I don't think this mirror is for sales code GT9.
2) I don't think the power folding mirrors that I have HAVE a sales code. And if they do, I don't believe this mirror is correct for it (because I think it's STRICTLY for a manual mirror)
3) Sales code GT9 should be clarified as a power, heated, memory mirror, just as it is listed in the factory manual.
4) I don't think the CONSUMER should have to do the research on sales codes, as this is not typical information that the consumer would know how to obtain (hell, I just learned how to)
5) I think the vendor should eat the cost of the shipping instead of the consumer and sort the part numbers, sales code numbers, and description out with the manufacturer of the product BECAUSE they chose to vend the product from Dorman. If they choose to fight Dorman for the money, I don't think that is the business of the consumer.

All that being said, I can assure you that RockAuto will still need me to verify the sales code using my VIN number because I, the consumer, am wrong in their eyes.

At this rate, it's not really worth fighting for my shipping. I will call the dealer to see if I can get a sales code...but after that I will eat my loss if that leads to a dead end or myself being proved "wrong." I really just wanted to pass off my experience, my opinions, and the facts of this issue so that people might be able to decide for themselves whether they want to use RockAuto in the future.

Last edited:

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info to know they don't help out their customers, especially long time customers. To me that's wrong. I won't ever buy or recommend them again. ***** they won't do what would clearly be the right thing to do, shows what kind of company they really are.

Mk

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my only bad experience was them telling me the replacement side mirror glass I ordered didn't come with any 3M double sided tape so I bought some but then the part come with some tape.

other then that I've only ordered oil filters, spark plugs, wipers, bulbs, fuses, air filter. things that I know what they are.

-_-''''''

they should revamp their cataloging system.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI to begin to finish this story - finally had time to call the dealer. Dealer confirmed I have sales code GT9. RockAuto SHOULD be hopefully sending me a return slip (would be nice to have an apology as well...)

Will update on whether they give me any more hassle.

RockAuto

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
@dude1116 - thanks for checking the fitment details of your car. The information you provided was sufficient to assure us you ordered the correct part, although I'm sorry if it caused you any inconvenience. By confirming the sales code, we felt comfortable providing a label and issuing a full refund.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@dude1116 - thanks for checking the fitment details of your car. The information you provided was sufficient to assure us you ordered the correct part, although I'm sorry if it caused you any inconvenience. By confirming the sales code, we felt comfortable providing a label and issuing a full refund.

^^^ THIS is why I like RockAuto. Well done :waytogo:

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ THIS is why I like RockAuto. Well done :waytogo:

Bob

I don't understand why I had to check to make sure that their catalog was accurate. I ordered according to their catalog and they threw me under the bus for it.

THIS is why I NO LONGER like RockAuto, and now will order from more reputable sellers such as Summit and Amazon.

VAPoorBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've dealt with part number issues myself both online and local. Issue is the fact some vendors will have one part number listed but the actual part will have a totally different number. So when they fill the order they send the wrong part. I've also ran into the issue of the vendor being in the process of updating/changing part numbers so parts will show as out of stock or the wrong part even though they actually have the part. I agree it's easier to deal locally so that you can at least inspect the part before handing over your cash.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heh. don't get me started about companies having wrong part numbers. if anyone ever orders EBC brakes for an SRT-4, you can thank ME for you getting the right pads instead of ones for a 300. :D

still, I didn't have any issues getting that sorted out. a couple pictures, a few "wtf?'s" from them, and it was all good.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had issues with rockauto once too with an oxygen sensor for the LR3. Ordered the one I wanted/needed, got it and the connector was totally different (it was for an 06 LR3, mine is an 07 and there was a switch somewhere in there). They argued with me that I ordered the wrong sensor, etc and it took them awhile to realize that they have their sensors listed wrong. They eventually let me return it but it wasn't easy.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I've been buying parts from Rockauto for years and years, and never had a glitch. Get super fast shipping and hassle free returns (my doing, not theirs). Buy local is nice, but most of my local parts stores carry a majority of cheap house brand crap. I like to buy name brand stuff, which is way less expensive at rock. I'm not negatively swayed.