BDS Lift Kit installed PROBLEMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rndallel

Reaction score
I have just recently installed a 2inch BDS Coil lift. Once installed the jeep was taken to the dodge garage for a recall on the lower ball joints, while in the shop i had them retorque all the nuts and bolts that pertained to the coil lift. While driving the KJ offroad and I hit bumps it sounds like the front end is bottoming out (metal on metal, solid stop/hit) I have looked over everything and see nothing that is hitting. Would this be because of bad struts? the jeep has 50k miles on it. 02 renegade...Everthing is tight...i have looked and checked many times......I am not sure what to do here.....everything is smooth and solid on the road....i hit small pot holes and all is tight...but offroad on a bigger bump (like going fast through a field) the front end hits hard....

What is wrong here????

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I installed a BDS kit and had similar issues.

A.) The kit does not replace your front struts. I had blown struts after many off-road trips. I ended up buy in the Rancho struts and Rancho Shocks for the rear (replaced the BDS rear shocks), highly recommended. This probably won't change your problem though, rather it was a little advice.

B.) Upper Ball Joint to Spring contact. This was the biggest problem I had where the Upper Ball Joint would make direct contact with the spring. This is where you are hearing the crashing/clanging/banging sound when going over larger bumps and/or off-road obstacles. My solution was to go with Al's Upper A-arms and the problem instantly disappeared.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) To have a matched set working in tandem
2) Once you over-extend the rear while flexing it on an obstacle, the internal stops on the shocks will probably fail and you will have 2-piece shocks instead of a single "unit"

I have the Rancho 5000's and they improved the quality of ride immediately in the rear.