Baymax - 2003 KJ Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zuperzaindi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I am not fast!"

You must be registered for see images attach

First Day Home

This is Baymax! (Yes, after the character in the Disney Movie "Big Hero 6"). I decided to name him Baymax, because:
1. I really love the character in the movie.
2. I don't drive fast.
3. I don't think the stock KJ's look very aggressive when they are stock, just like the character. But when you upgrade and modify them, they become awesome looking, butt-kicking machines!

I bought Baymax on (19MAR2015) for cheap. The previous owner told me there was a Cylinder 2 misfire. Looking over him, he looked to be in pretty darn good condition. There rear bumper was a tad messed up and the driver's side taillight was tapped in from a fender bender, but there was no frame damage and no body damage.

The next day (20MAR2015) we took the valve cover off to check out what was going on with the misfire. We found that the valve spring has a clean break in it. Ordered the parts for the fix, plus some TLC maintenance, and waited.

(24MAR2015) We got our tools and parts together to do some maintenance and replace the spring. Did pretty well getting the spring switched out up until the spring retainer keeper fell and got lost. Now we are at a stand still. We've got to get a longer magnet to make sure the keeper didn't fall somewhere detrimental and now we are waiting on a new keeper that I ordered this morning.

(30MAR2015) We replaced the broken valve spring, replaced the valve cover gasket, drained the old coolant and took off the old water pump.

(31MAR2015) After school my dad and I got right to work on Baymax. We finished replacing the water pump, changed the oil and put on the new serpentine belt. Today I got to drive Baymax for the first time without having to worry about anything bad happening!

------------------------------------------------

BAYMAX TLC:
-Repair Misfire - SUCCESS!!
-Repair Power Steering Fluid Leak COMPLETED!
-Change Fluids (Coolant, Oil, Dif., ******, T-case) - Oil Change & Coolant Done!
-Replace Gaskets DONE!
-Replace Hoses FINISHED!
-Replace Serpentine Belt - COMPLETED!
-Replace Water Pump - SUCCESS!
-Replace Missing Hood Props - DONE!
-Replace Passenger Side Tail Light - COMPLETED!
-Repair Rear Windshield Wiper Electrical Issue MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
-New Tires - Eh, Newer Anyway...New-new tires to come later.
-Passenger side, rear window regulator replacement - DONE!
-Replaced headlights - YAY!
-Replaced radiator - CHECK!
-New brakes - DONE!

REMAINING:
-Replace fuel pump and fuel filter
-Fluids: T-case, diff, and transmission
-Diagnose & repair A/C issue

BAYMAX WISHLIST
*Not in exact order of priority*
-Suspension/Lift 2.5-3in > OME
-Skid Plates
-Roof Rack
-Extra Lights
-Winch Bumper
-Awesome, kick-a**, super-sweet new tires!
-New rims/wheels? Eh, maybe just sand down and fix up stock wheels...? Undecided...

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice looking KJ.

Dave

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EXCELLENT!! Great start and great name! Hope you get a lot of enjoyment from your 'personal health care assistant'.....:gr_grin:

zuperzaindi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished doing my first round of TLC repairs today!! I got to take Baymax on a real drive!! (As opposed to a scared drive home praying he wouldn't explode)

Only a few more things to take care of on the TLC list!

zuperzaindi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a long while since I updated anything, but I've been steadily working on Baymax despite being busy with finals and home improvement projects. Ran into a snag a couple weeks ago when I discovered my radiator had a crack and was leaking, but I got that replaced pretty quick. Also got some 'new' tires to replace the horribly bald ones that were on it. I needed something to get me around town that were safer then what I had. Hoping to knock out the remained of my TLC list in the next couple of weeks and then start on my wish list!! Very excited :)

zuperzaindi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, we also figured out that the bumper fascia and front fender flares were pretty messed up. Some of the plastic clips that hold it together were broken clean off and the bumper had been split up a 'seem' so we removed everything off the front end temporarily and jerry-rigged everything back together again. It all feels much more solid now!

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Avondale Wholesale Parts has good price on replacement clips...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zuperzaindi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had known that before. We had a hell of a time trying to find pop rivets that would fit and work. But I doubt it will be last time I end up taking them off so it's good to know where I can find them again!