battery light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well iim going to scan it tomorrow but heres what happened.

when i cranked the engine today at work to leave i noticed a roaring sound that ive never noticed before when letting it warm up. so after i drove off the battery light came on about a minute later. it stayed on until i got home which was about 4 miles. the temp stayed the same so im pretty sure the noise wasnt the water pump bearings, but i did smell burning rubber. i have 130k on it. would the belt and tension pully cause this to happen? it is in need of replacement just going off mileage alone. lights seemed to work to as did the ac. so im thinking either belt/pully or altenator.

but whats causing the roaring noise and smell? could the ac compressor be going out?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best to pull the serpentine belt and start twirling some pulleys. Could be an idler or alternator etc. starting to lock up, and the smell would be the belt burning as it's slipping along a locked up pulley.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best to pull the serpentine belt and start twirling some pulleys. Could be an idler or alternator etc. starting to lock up, and the smell would be the belt burning as it's slipping along a locked up pulley.

THIS! Likely the alternator bearings have locked up and the belt is just slipping over it. Whichever pulley/idler/tensioner is locked up, a new belt will be in order also.

Bob

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turns out it is the alternator pulley/bearings. its kinda hard to get it to free wheel with the belt off. also cranked the engine for about 5 seconds and there was no noise at all. its possible it is another pulley, but it doesnt feel like it. the rest spin free. got the 160amp alt so good for me. 2 vids coming soon on how to change the belt and tensioner, and the alt change.

im going to replace the alt, belt and tension device.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That belt is certainly ready to replace. Tensioner? If in doubt, might as well, they aint all that expensive.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turns out it is the alternator pulley/bearings. its kinda hard to get it to free wheel with the belt off. also cranked the engine for about 5 seconds and there was no noise at all. its possible it is another pulley, but it doesnt feel like it. the rest spin free. got the 160amp alt so good for me. 2 vids coming soon on how to change the belt and tensioner, and the alt change.

im going to replace the alt, belt and tension device.

can't wait for the videos.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That belt is certainly ready to replace. Tensioner? If in doubt, might as well, they aint all that expensive.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yep the belt had many small breaks in the ribs on the underside. i knew it was about time, so i just decided to get new tensioner to so i wouldnt have to do the job all over later.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could use a stethoscope to listen to the bearings as they spin to figure out which ones are bad.

Latest posts

Members online