battery light

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by flair1111, Aug 6, 2015.

1. flair1111

flair1111 Full Access Member

well iim going to scan it tomorrow but heres what happened.

when i cranked the engine today at work to leave i noticed a roaring sound that ive never noticed before when letting it warm up. so after i drove off the battery light came on about a minute later. it stayed on until i got home which was about 4 miles. the temp stayed the same so im pretty sure the noise wasnt the water pump bearings, but i did smell burning rubber. i have 130k on it. would the belt and tension pully cause this to happen? it is in need of replacement just going off mileage alone. lights seemed to work to as did the ac. so im thinking either belt/pully or altenator.

but whats causing the roaring noise and smell? could the ac compressor be going out?

2. CactusJacked

CactusJacked Full Access Member

Best to pull the serpentine belt and start twirling some pulleys. Could be an idler or alternator etc. starting to lock up, and the smell would be the belt burning as it's slipping along a locked up pulley.

3. M38 Bob

M38 Bob Full Access Member

THIS! Likely the alternator bearings have locked up and the belt is just slipping over it. Whichever pulley/idler/tensioner is locked up, a new belt will be in order also.

Bob

4. flair1111

turns out it is the alternator pulley/bearings. its kinda hard to get it to free wheel with the belt off. also cranked the engine for about 5 seconds and there was no noise at all. its possible it is another pulley, but it doesnt feel like it. the rest spin free. got the 160amp alt so good for me. 2 vids coming soon on how to change the belt and tensioner, and the alt change.

im going to replace the alt, belt and tension device.

5. M38 Bob

M38 Bob Full Access Member

That belt is certainly ready to replace. Tensioner? If in doubt, might as well, they aint all that expensive.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. k99jk99j

k99jk99j Full Access Member

can't wait for the videos.

7. flair1111

lol. i just did an intro for the belt change. not going to say what it involves, but is anyone here a star wars fan?? :))

8. flair1111

yep the belt had many small breaks in the ribs on the underside. i knew it was about time, so i just decided to get new tensioner to so i wouldnt have to do the job all over later.

9. uss2defiant

uss2defiant Full Access Member

could use a stethoscope to listen to the bearings as they spin to figure out which ones are bad.