BAM! - Right in the face...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may not be the right place for this, so if it gets moved / deleted - I understand. I just want to offer some hopelfully constructive coments.

So, I go to log in today, (I'ts been a few...) and I'm hit right in the face with the new advertising and the note about setting up an account :icon_frown:

Then I have to scroll down to even log in. :disgust:

Don't get me wrong - I have no room to realy complain as I'm a free-loader here. I've never been a "supporting" member, yet have partaken of the great deal of knowledge shared. I also try to help when I can. In short, I should put a pry-bar in my wallet and pony-up in support of this great resource.

Now I understand wanting to run a profitable web site, after all, that's why you bought it. I expect some changes fom time-to-time, nothing stays the same forever... But this one just seemed a little extreme.

If I were a New-B, and didn't know the freindly atmosphere and vast knowledge available here, the "right in the face" advertising might be enough to make me look elsewhere. I know I find it bothersome on any site - even retail ones...

Thanks for providing a great resource!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I also have ad-blocker software going, so I see no ads.

I also logged myself out just to see what the normal guest/newbie would see... and I don't see how anything has changed in the past few months since the initial changes. :confused:

Is it possible for you to do a screen capture to show us?

yodejt02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jamie its the same crap that's on jeepmilitia.com. If you don't have add blocker on there is about a quarter of a page box that has google ads in it with instructions in sweezed in the middle about registering. In essence those that are not registered have to put up with a bunch of scrolling down to get to the forum options. Just one of those "little" tweaks that keep popping up.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, just a little tweak for the guest. I am just testing this out as it has worked. It helps with getting guest to register really. When they just register, the ads go away on top. Just look at the total of new member registration we had to day, 9 and its usually 3 - 5. Only guest see it and not members.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have ad blocker but everytime today I went to sign in here that crap popped up, very frigging annoying. I should not have to add another layer of protection on just to log in here. Of the 13 sites I visit daily none have this.
If you want to know how I really feel about it, I'll be glad to tell you.
By the way it won't help bring people in to sign up, more like chase them away
Now back to our regular programming....:yawn:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I rarely see anything but the "new posts" page, but I logged out and have to agree, while I don't really have anything against ads (I just ignore them), the design of the login page with the hard-to-read thin band of text down the middle, and the need to scroll down to log in, I find annoying. Also in spite of reading past the bold "register" link, I found myself looking for a button or something once I scrolled down.

More of a design issue really, it doesn't look inviting or professional to me.

Just my $CDN 0.02.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, just a little tweak for the guest. I am just testing this out as it has worked. It helps with getting guest to register really. When they just register, the ads go away on top. Just look at the total of new member registration we had to day, 9 and its usually 3 - 5. Only guest see it and not members.

I see this was changed back - thank you.

I'm not the most web-savy guy, and was wondering if I'm linked to the right spot? I don't run any type of ad blocker (where do you get one?), and do try to clean out the cookies every month or so. I'm runnig one of the more popular internet secutirty suites, and it includes a login manager. Is there a better place to link to to avoid the registration request page?

Thanks agian.

P.S. what about a small internet / bulletin board tech center for those of us that grew up before laptops? (that's assuming I actually DID grow up)

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't run any type of ad blocker (where do you get one?)

What web browser are you using? I use Firefox, and they have add-ons to your browser. It's not a program that you have to download and run on your computer. The ad-block that I use is just an extention of the browser. Similar options may be available to you for other browsers.

Uncle Krusty,

I personally have the "new posts" page bookmarked - shows me any new posts in all forums since my last log on.

http://jeepkj.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew

I rarely see the main menu anymore :)

(yeahthat)

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y/C, I use Internet Explorer 7. I've heard good things about Google Chrome, but have yet to change.

I like Dave's Idea too.

Thank you both! :worship:

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yea, as being a registered member and staying logged in, you would have never seen the ads.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, as being a registered member and staying logged in, you would have never seen the ads.

Yeah, ditto. No problem here. Just stay logged in and it also more convenient.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online