ball-joint recall repairs...beware!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lvmylibby

Reaction score
Got my recall repair done on my kj this week. Being the techy guy that I am I decided to crawl underneath to check out the new ball joints when I got home. Luckily I noticed there was grease oozing out of the boot on one joint. (see photo).
You must be registered for see images

When I wiped this grease away I noticed a slice in the boot. Could have been done by mechanic or faulty from start? Regardless of how the slice occured the dealer is redoing the repair as I type this. I got an apology.
I wonder though, is this going to be a common problem with the recall. Who knows. My advice is when you get the recall done, get a flashlight and check out the repair. If you notice grease take it back to the dealer pronto!
FYI for those that don't know, if dirt gets into that joint it will wear prematurely and fail.

Hope this helps.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats easy to do.. I did it when I installed my Moogs.. [-( Al sent a another cover that goes over the entire boot to help keep the grease in.. seems to be working out great so far.. \:D/

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
thats easy to do.. I did it when I installed my Moogs.. [-( Al sent a another cover that goes over the entire boot to help keep the grease in.. seems to be working out great so far.. \:D/

What other cover did he send you? you have any pictures?

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these new ball joints have a sleeve that goes over the boot when installing them for that reason. the idiot that installed them obviously did'nt know that. it's lettered on the sleeve to not remove until installed into control arm.

lvmylibby

Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the cover. I'll pass it along to the service department where I took it for the recall.

Latest posts

Members online